cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use a 9200L switch instead of router for edge of ISP.

Chris McCann
Level 1
Level 1

OK,

We are getting a new higher speed WAN connection, at the moment we have a router between the CSU and firewall. The router isnt doing much, couple of static routes and that is all.

We dont want to buy a new router for the higher speed (the interfaces on the current router arent quick enough for the new connection, it doesnt have sfp modules) as this is extra expense (we are going to 10GB).

I have looked at using a 9200L with 10gb SFPs. Will enable IP routing, and change the interfaces to be L3 (no switchport and assign an IP). Put in some static routes. (We will be goign to BGP in the next few months though).

Any reason why I shouldnt be doing this, feel free to shoot me down

Any advice, many thanks.

Chris.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris 

Can you not connect directly to the firewall ? 

I have not used the 9200 switch but a quick look at the docs and I can't find any mention of BGP being supported although you may know differently. 

Jon

Looks like we are going to connect direct to the firewall. 

Thanks regardless.

Chris.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure that is durable -  if it just transit switch.

EDIT :

Let me correct it, if the switch only act as Layer 2, if you need more functions like BGP, then need to change the model to higher-level Like Cat 9300

Original post I was in the assumption that your FW will handle all the stuff BGP / Routing, - please correct me if my assumption is wrong here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card