Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Connect to Systems in other Office Locations

Meri Christmas
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon

My company has set up a new office, I will call "Central". We configured a 3850 switch connected to a ASA 4406 firewall. Every is working fine except for one problem.

I can't connect to printers, servers, or computers in our other offices, I will call "East" and "West".

I cannot ping to devices in the east and west offices including the switches located in those offices

I cannot map to a server that's located in our east office

If I go to the east office for example, I can see and connect to printers and such in the west office. Likewise if I go to the west office I can connect to anything in the east office.

But the central office...nothing.

I can supply any document you request to help me figure this out. I've been over my config files for my switches but outside of adding a ACL on the new central switch, I can't figure out what's going on.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

How to both offices are connected? Are you using VLAN connection/Direct L2 link/MPLS?

Can you share ACL configuration along with network diagram?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/troubleshooting/guide/trblgd/ts_acl.pdf

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

MPLS - 

But I found the problem.

I added a route to the switch in the east office yesterday. I saved it but when I went to the east office today, I noticed that the route did not save. I put it in again but it wouldn't save. I decided to place the route on the switch in the west office and it worked! Now the central office can connect to the west office location and visa versa.

I knew the only thing that was keeping the offices from seeing each other was a route. When I added the route to the switch at the east office and it still didn't work, I became perplexed and open this thread. 

But now since I am unable to save the route on the switch in the east office, I realize the problem is the switch. It just won't save. I've even tried to add a test route but that couldn't save that either.

Then I did a "no ip route" command for the route I thought was saved but I received no route found from the switch.

So I think my problem is actually the 2960x switch at the east office.

OK now my "saving routes" issue is resolved. The switch only holds 16 routes. I removed the routes that we no longer use (from locations that don't exists anymore) and added the new ones. DONE! 

Thanks much. 

I'm a newbie so I will probably have some more issues that perplex me.  

Hi, 

I am happy to know that your issue has been resolved. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card