Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping a device on the main network from a wireless network

vinhanbui01
Level 1
Level 1

Screenshot 2020-11-12 213741.pngScreenshot 2020-11-12 214432.png

Let me explain my topology. The HOME-RTR has three sub-interfaces: g0/0.10-30 with 10.10.10.1, 10.10.20.1, and 10.10.30.1 as the gateways. It is connected to HOME-SW via the trunked port Fa0/24. The HOME-DC Server is part of VLAN 10 and is connected to HOME-SW via port Fa0/1 which is access mode for VL10. It can ping its gateway (10.10.10.1). However, my issue is that my Wireless RTR network cannot ping outside of its private network. The laptop is able to ping its private gateway (192.168.1.1) but cannot connect outside of that. I went into the Wireless Router and gave it the following IP addresses in the second picture attached. The Wireless RTR is connected to HOME-SW via port Fa0/23 which is trunked and VLAN 20 is allowed since I want my wireless stuff to be on VLAN 20.

I think there is something I need to do with the HOME-SW and the VLANs because I created a replicate of this network topology but made some changes. In the replicated network, I had no VLANs created and gave HOME-RTR the IP 10.10.10.1 in interface G0/0 (no sub-interfaces). I then trunked both ports Fa0/23 and Fa0/24 on the switch. I tried pinging from the laptop to the server and it worked. But when I created VLANs and sub-interfaces, it stopped working. Can someone please tell me what the issue is? Thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

on the switch, change the configuration of the interface connected to the wireless router to:

interface FastEthernet0/23
switchport access vlan 20
switchport mode access

Attached the revised, working file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

post the zipped Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file.

Hello,

on the switch, change the configuration of the interface connected to the wireless router to:

interface FastEthernet0/23
switchport access vlan 20
switchport mode access

Attached the revised, working file.

Ahh. Thank you. I thought you had to trunk the port between a router and switch? Maybe because there was only one VLAN?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card