cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping into Router 1941 from Netgear (Homerouter)

lfleisher
Level 1
Level 1

Yesterday I made a forum post regarding: https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/cisco-1941-router-connecting-to-netgear-router/td-p/4700979

The issue I'm facing now, Is that any devices connected to the Netgear Router (My PC) can't ping into the Cisco 1941 Networks.

My Netgear router has an IP on 172.16.0.0 /24 (172.16.0.1 Gateway)

My Cisco 1941 router interface G0/0 has an IP Address of 172.16.0.2, I can ping the interface from anything connected to my 172.16.0.0 network

My Cisco 1941 router has the following Sub-interfaces attached to G0/1

Do I need to configure a default route into the Cisco 1941 Router from my Netgear router? 

I've attached the SHRUN of my router. I'm thinking the solution to this will help me solve my DNS issue since traffic can't get into the above LAN but can get out. 

Thank you in advance!

6 Replies 6

Hello,

post a schematic drawing of your topology, showing how the Netgear and the Cisco are connected. The Cisco is the Internet-facing router ?

Topographical Network.png

Please see the topographical network above.

I am not clear what problem you are describing. But one aspect of your post is very clear:

"Do I need to configure a default route into the Cisco 1941 Router from my Netgear router?" The answer is that NO you do NOT want a default route on Netgear pointing to the 1941. The Netgear default route needs to point to the Internet. The Netgear needs routes for the various networks inside your network.

I am not clear what you mean when you say "any devices connected to the Netgear Router" Is this any device on the Internet side of the Netgear? In that case it is the expected behavior that an Internet IP would not be able to initiate traffic to anything on the inside of the Netgear. If it is something different then please provide clarification. 

HTH

Rick

I apologize for my late delay, for example when attempting a Peer-to-Peer connection from outside my network(s) here are the results.

If I am connected via Ethernet to the Netgear router I can connect/remote to the computer

If I am connected via Ethernet to 1941 LAN, I am unable to establish a connection/remote to the computer.

I would like to be able to have remote access to these devices. Even if connected to the Netgear router I am unable to ping anything within the Cisco LAN.

I am a bit confused. Your diagram shows the Netgear with 2 connections, one to Internet and the other to 1941. Are you telling us that in fact there are other devices connected to the Netgear and your diagram is not accurate?

I am not clear about this statement "when attempting a Peer-to-Peer connection". What kind of peer to peer connection? Is this some type of vpn? Or some type of telnet/ssh? Or something else?

I am not clear about these 2 statements:

If I am connected via Ethernet to the Netgear router I can connect/remote to the computer (what computer is this and what would be its address?)

If I am connected via Ethernet to 1941 LAN, I am unable to establish a connection/remote to the computer. (is this the same computer referenced above or is it a different computer?)

I think I do understand this statement " if connected to the Netgear router I am unable to ping anything within the Cisco LAN." Am I correct in understanding that when on a device connected to the Netgear that the device default gateway is the Netgear? I would suggest changing the configuration of the device you are on and make its default gateway the address of the 1941. If you do that I believe that you will have access. 

The issue here is that if you are on a computer with an address in 172.16.0 and the Netgear is your default gateway when you attempt to ping 10.0.0.25 you will forward the packet to Netgear. But Netgear does not know where 10.0.0 is. Remember that you configured NAT so any traffic from 10.0.0.0 gets translated and Netgear never sees 10.0.0.0.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card