cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we route a few IP from /24 subnet to ISP over BGP?

2911M
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I wanted to know if we can route few IP from /24 subnet to ISP over BGP and have redundancy of that over the second link?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per i know - I do not believe less than /24 is accepted by any ISP provider for the BGP for Traffic engineering. you can have a preferred ISP for /24 subnet and automatic failover with other ISPB if the ISP A fails.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per i know - I do not believe less than /24 is accepted by any ISP provider for the BGP for Traffic engineering. you can have a preferred ISP for /24 subnet and automatic failover with other ISPB if the ISP A fails.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

with /24 subnet, you mean a local subnet ? Can you post a diagram of your topology that shows what you want to accomplish ? PBR lets you route any IP anywhere...outbound that is...

2911M
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you All for the prompt reply. I was referring to PI addresses, it appears  balaji.band has answered my question.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The same ISP?  Possibly, depends on what the ISP supports.

Different ISPs?  No.

Reason for the forgoing, fully routable networks, on the Internet, must minimally be a /24, but within the ISP, the ISP can slice and dice the /24.  (Which is also why ISP will often provide their clients much smaller networks than a /24.)

How you want to slice and dice your /24, and whether you want to have it done in a way that you can change it dynamically, just via configuration changes on your end (regarding which ISP link to use), will also be impacted by what the ISP is willing to support.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card