cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you disable the DSL modem on 837 Router

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

Hello is there any way to turn off / disable the DSL modem on the 837 router?   I have shutdown the ATM0 interface but the modem is still trying to train up.  I'm trying to disable it as I am now using an external modem with PPPOE.

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jeff,

Hmm, there does not seem to be any command that would deactivate the modem. I do not have such a router handy though - can you enter the global config mode and try writing the controller ? command including the question mark? Is it recognized? If yes, does it allow you to refer to either the ATM or a DSL interface? If yes, try entering the mode provided by the controller command, and use shutdown to deactivate it. As I said, though - I am not sure if this command is supported on your platform. Perhaps try entering the service internal command as the very first command before trying playing with the controller - this hidden command in the global config unlocks some of other hidden features.

In any case, do you have any problems with the modem still running? I understand it is kind of irritating to know that the modem continuously stays up and tries to bring up the link. Then again, it shouldn't do any harm...

Best regards,
Peter

Well no controller command at all even with service internal.   It is just more of an annoyance then anything else.  I might fix it by placing some electrical tape over the LEDs

I may also look into a better SOHO router for the PPPOE client, perhaps an 881 but they are still a little pricey.

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

That is strange, I have used the command you mention before and it worked.

As you say otherwise it clicks and the LED flashes whilst trying to establish a connection

Does that defiantly refer to the interface on your router?

Martin

So you are saying shutting down the ATM0 interface has disabled the DSL modem?  I wonder is this is IOS specific.  I am stuck on 12.4(17b) due to memory. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card