Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Enable switch

rramraj123
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I was trying to upgrade IOS on my 3500XL series switch (24 port) Before doing this I connected my switch and deleted all the configs and flash. When I reconnect my switch this is the error message I am getting.

switch: flash_init

Initializing Flash...

...The flash is already initialized.

switch: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

3611648 bytes available (1024 bytes used)

switch: boot

Boot process failed...

I cannot get in to en mode to copy IOS .

Please help me.

Thanks,

Raj

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you able to do this command?

Dir flash

What is the output please? It may have been that your startup-config file had the command to say which image to boot from. If you deleted this it probably has gone to Rommon mode?

If you do see your image via the command above then you can do this:

Switch: boot flash:IMAGEFILENAME.bin

If not then you may have to follow this procedure: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Hi Rajesh,

It looks like your device does not have a valid IOS image on the flash to boot properly. So the switch is currently on

ROMMON (switch: prompt)

Now to get out of this you will have to use XMODEM upgrade process like Bilal has stated.

Please follow below setups for XMODEM upgrade.

1. Run the flash_init command in order to make sure that the Flash is properly initialized.

2. Setup your PC to do Xmodem:

1. On the Hyper Terminal Menu bar, click on Transfer and choose Send File.This brings up a Send File popup window.
  2. Choose the Protocol to be Xmodem from the pull down button.
  3. Click Close.

3. Set up the switch so it is ready to receive the image:   

Run the copy xmodem:new_file.bin flash:new_file.bin command on the switch in order to copy the image to the Flash     with the use of Xmodem, where new_file.bin is the file that you downloaded from the Cisco.com on your PC. For             example the command would somethingke switch: copy xmodem:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz- 120-5.WC8.bin                       flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz-120-5.WC8.bin

4. Perform these steps on the PC in order to start the transfer of the file:

1. On the Hyper Terminal Menu bar, click Transfer and choose Send File.This brings up a Send File popup window.
  2. Use the Browse button in order to fill in the Filename.
  3. Verify the Protocol to be Xmodem.If it is other than Xmodem, choose Xmodem from the pull-down button.
  4. Click Send, and this starts the transfer of the file.

Note: Make sure that you start the transfer of the file immediately after you receive the Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K              transfer now.. message, approximately within three to five seconds, otherwise the switch times out the XMODEM copy.                  Also Xmodem transfer can take between 25 to 35 minutes, which depends upon the switch and the size of the                image.

5. Issue the dir flash: command in order to verify the successful copy of the file to the Flash:

6. Set the BOOT parameters so that the switch boots with the downloaded image when reloaded. For example

switch: set BOOT flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin

Note: BOOT must be in capital letters.

7. Boot the switch:  i.e.switch:boot

Hope this helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you able to do this command?

Dir flash

What is the output please? It may have been that your startup-config file had the command to say which image to boot from. If you deleted this it probably has gone to Rommon mode?

If you do see your image via the command above then you can do this:

Switch: boot flash:IMAGEFILENAME.bin

If not then you may have to follow this procedure: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

switch: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

3611648 bytes available (1024 bytes used)

Thanks for your reply.

This is the output when I do dir flash:

I am not getting any other detals...

Please follow steps from the Cisco document provided in my earlier post.

You will need to upload your new image via xmodem. There is no valid image file for the switch to boot from.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml

Hope this helps

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

How can I get out of ROMmon mode??

Thanks,

Hi Rajesh,

It looks like your device does not have a valid IOS image on the flash to boot properly. So the switch is currently on

ROMMON (switch: prompt)

Now to get out of this you will have to use XMODEM upgrade process like Bilal has stated.

Please follow below setups for XMODEM upgrade.

1. Run the flash_init command in order to make sure that the Flash is properly initialized.

2. Setup your PC to do Xmodem:

1. On the Hyper Terminal Menu bar, click on Transfer and choose Send File.This brings up a Send File popup window.
  2. Choose the Protocol to be Xmodem from the pull down button.
  3. Click Close.

3. Set up the switch so it is ready to receive the image:   

Run the copy xmodem:new_file.bin flash:new_file.bin command on the switch in order to copy the image to the Flash     with the use of Xmodem, where new_file.bin is the file that you downloaded from the Cisco.com on your PC. For             example the command would somethingke switch: copy xmodem:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz- 120-5.WC8.bin                       flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz-120-5.WC8.bin

4. Perform these steps on the PC in order to start the transfer of the file:

1. On the Hyper Terminal Menu bar, click Transfer and choose Send File.This brings up a Send File popup window.
  2. Use the Browse button in order to fill in the Filename.
  3. Verify the Protocol to be Xmodem.If it is other than Xmodem, choose Xmodem from the pull-down button.
  4. Click Send, and this starts the transfer of the file.

Note: Make sure that you start the transfer of the file immediately after you receive the Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K              transfer now.. message, approximately within three to five seconds, otherwise the switch times out the XMODEM copy.                  Also Xmodem transfer can take between 25 to 35 minutes, which depends upon the switch and the size of the                image.

5. Issue the dir flash: command in order to verify the successful copy of the file to the Flash:

6. Set the BOOT parameters so that the switch boots with the downloaded image when reloaded. For example

switch: set BOOT flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin

Note: BOOT must be in capital letters.

7. Boot the switch:  i.e.switch:boot

Hope this helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Hi Najaf,

Thanks very much  for your step by step instructions. All worked fine.

Thanks leolaohoo, Bilal Nawaz for your reply.

Kind regards,

Rajesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card