cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant ping router on network

Computerwiz24
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble getting a router to ping or talk on a network. I know i have to be overlooking something easy or small. I attached a picture of a network similar to mine just to better illustrate. I have a layer 3 switch with IP routing enabled. I then have 2 vlans set up. i can ping from PC0 to PC1 with no trouble. Also both PCs can ping the firewall. The problem is PC1 can ping router 0 but PC0 cant. I'm guessing it has to do with return route since the PC can talk no problem which has a default gateway but the router that doesn't have a default gateway cant ping or talk. What am i doing wrong?

Thank you Network drawing.JPG

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The router needs to know where the 172.16.20.0/24 network is located. You will need a static route or default route on the router.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

Hello

on the rtr 1841

ip route 172.16.20.0 255.255..255.0 192.16.1.2

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The router needs to know where the 172.16.20.0/24 network is located. You will need a static route or default route on the router.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hello

on the rtr 1841

ip route 172.16.20.0 255.255..255.0 192.16.1.2

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

That worked.  I had my static route wrong in the router.    Thank you everyone for the help!

Post the Packet Tracer project file in case this isn't resolved yet...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card