Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 IOS upgrade

jjcollaguazo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I will be installing a secondary SUP720 in a 6509-E and will be upgrading the IOS on the existing SUP which is on  122-18.SXF6. I've read that this release has passed End of Critical Maintenance earlier this you. I thinking of upgrading the IOS to 12.2.33-SXJ1(ED) or 12.2.33-SXI8(ED) (possible more stable), but i'm not sure if i need any step upgrades from the current version. The SUP meets the required hardware specs and I will also be upgrading the ROMMON to 12.2(17r)SX7 first.

I have alot of experience upgrading IOS on routers and switches, but i just need to now if there are any gotchas that i need to know for the upgrade on the SUP.

The other issue is i don't believe the current IOS has been installed, are there any issue running on an IOS not installed.

Patching is not available since the system is not running from an installed image. To install please use the "install file" command

Looks forward to any tips/tricks or docos people can provide.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Modular is still available for 12.2(33)SXI but personally I would avoid it and simply use the standard image. Also as you said I would load 12.2(33)SXI8 for now.   Here is a quasi ancient document that may help if you need specifics:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080116ff0.shtml

Standard image = mz

Modular = vz

Example:    s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SXI2.bin

Also, you're jumping a lot of throttles from SXF to SXI, some commands may have been changed or deprecated.  If you have a lab device upgrade that first and see if all of the commands make it.  If you do not, make sure you have a copy of the latest running config (you should do this before any major change anyways) before you upgrade the IOS.  You may need to edit some commands or features and reapply those sections to get everything back.  This is the only potential speed bump that comes to mind.

The Sup720 will have enough memory by default.  Keep the old IOS on the compact flash or bootflash if at all possible, just in case you need to roll back.  Then you simply change the boot statement and reload.

Good luck and I hope that helps,

-Brian

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no specific gotchas.  As long as you have enough memory and flash, you should be fine.  The image is around 140Mb.  Also, there is no issue with the install command. No need to worry about it.  Cisco deployed the install command in some earlier version modular IOS, but now all new images are non-modular and install does not apply any more.

HTH

Modular is still available for 12.2(33)SXI but personally I would avoid it and simply use the standard image. Also as you said I would load 12.2(33)SXI8 for now.   Here is a quasi ancient document that may help if you need specifics:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080116ff0.shtml

Standard image = mz

Modular = vz

Example:    s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SXI2.bin

Also, you're jumping a lot of throttles from SXF to SXI, some commands may have been changed or deprecated.  If you have a lab device upgrade that first and see if all of the commands make it.  If you do not, make sure you have a copy of the latest running config (you should do this before any major change anyways) before you upgrade the IOS.  You may need to edit some commands or features and reapply those sections to get everything back.  This is the only potential speed bump that comes to mind.

The Sup720 will have enough memory by default.  Keep the old IOS on the compact flash or bootflash if at all possible, just in case you need to roll back.  Then you simply change the boot statement and reload.

Good luck and I hope that helps,

-Brian

Thanks for the detailed Answer Brian.

Do you know if the ROMMON will automatically update on the SUP when placed in the secondary slot?

My intention is to upgrade the ROMMON and IOS on the new SUP and upload the existing config to see what commands if any can't be added. Once i have everything setup correctly i will power down the customers 6500 place the new SUP in the primairy slot and place the current SUP in the scoundary slot.

Can you forsee any issue with this process? i imagine that the current SUP will simply upgrade its IOS, but not sure about the ROMMON and the existing config?

Do i need to add the redundancy config (below) on the new SUP so it boots with the reduncay commands and current SUP?

Router(config)# redundancy

Router(config-red)# mode sso

Switch(config-red)# main-cpu

Switch(config-r-mc)# auto-sync standard

Switch(config-r-mc)# end

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco