Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 TCAM Allocation Adjustment with VSS

andreagabellini
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to adjust the TCAM memory allocation on a Catalyst 6500 in VSS mode. The two supervisors are VS-S720-10G and the IOS is the version 15.1(2)SY4a.

From what I understand, after giving the command "mls cef maximum-routes ip xxx" is necessary to reboot the switch.

I wondered if it were possible, as they are in VSS mode, restart a switch at a time.

Thanks,
andrea

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

great it will be interesting to know the results

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

redundancy reload peer will reload the other switch in vss or shelf for the switch your on 

HTH

Mark,

thanks for your answer.

But I need to know if reloading one switch at a time (with redundancy commands) enables the TCAM Allocation Adjustment or not.

Thanks,
Andrea

Its based on hardware so i presume it would adjust for each but i have not tested it so i cannot confirm maybe someone else on the forum has and can share , you can check each switches tcam with show tcam counts switch 1 or 2 on a vss setup

what i would note is that tcam works for the likes of acls and qos and and in a vss setup is programmed to all pfcs and dfcs by the active route processor and as there acting as 1 unit logically i dont know what effect reloading just 1 may have

Hello Mark,

I scheduled a maintenance windows next week, so I can try both the solutions. Rebooting one switch at a time and eventually the entire switch (two units).

I'll post the results.

Andrea

great it will be interesting to know the results

andreagabellini
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This morning I tried to activate the TCAM adjustment with the command "mls cef maximum-routes ip xxx".

The first test was to restart a switch at a time with the commands "redundancy reload peer" and "redundancy force-switchover". The TCAM memory layout didn't change

The second test was to restart the virtual switch with the "reload" command. After the restart the TCAM memory had the new settings.

I thank the forum and I hope that this information can be useful to others.

Andrea

Thanks for posting the results good to know :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card