cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cellular Gateway link recovery CG418-E

paul amaral
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, I have a cellular gateway, CG418-E, that is in place where LTE signal is spotty. Once in awhile that device loses signal and changes the current service status to “no service”. Usually a remote reboot reconnects the device to the LTE carrier. My issue is  that I have to manually reboot the cellular gateway and I was wondering if there’s a command to monitor the LTE status and issue an LTE reset. I know on the built-in PIM cellular modules there’s an RSSI threshold command that will do just that, but on the cellular gateway there is no such command or procedure. I did look at the literature and couldn’t find anything. Hoping someone has a solution that works, BTW I was thinking of using dual sims with failover but I don’t want to pay for another sim card. Hoping someone has some ideas. I’m assuming there has to be a ways to perform link recovery on the external CG.

CellularGateway# show cellular 1 network

Current System Time = Thu Nov 9 19:51:35 2023
Current Service Status = No service
Current Service = Unknown
Current Roaming Status = Home

CellularGateway# show system status
SYSTEM INFO
Platform PID                   = CG418-E

3 Replies 3

Hello,

you could use a simple EEM script to accomplish that. It depends on what you see in syslog (sh log) when you lose connectivity. The script could look like this:

event manager applet LTE_RESET authorization bypass
event syslog pattern " Cellular 1 down "
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 2.0 cli command "reload in 10" pattern "confirm"
action 3.0 cli command "y"

I thought of that, but these devices dont support EEM scripting, at least no with the traditional IOS commands like you listed above.

paul amaral
Level 4
Level 4

It seems that there should be a way to deal with this, although from the lack of responses it becoming unlikely. Weird that Cisco did not plan for this and remove the RSSI recovery command on the CG.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card