cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1941 upgrading PTP interace from serial to gigabit ethernet

Manuel Cruz
Level 1
Level 1

We recently acquired a new PTP service upgrade (ethernet) . We are still using our old one PTP 1.5mb connection on our serial interface. I purchased and installed the new GB ethernet interface to compensate for the increase in bandwidth provided by the new PTP that was installed. The new EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU is installed and configured with an an internal address to be used on both sides of the new PTP between my 2 Cisco 1941 Routers. I also included this new connection into EIGRP as well. I could use some help after my tesiting yesterday hasnt produced any help hints at what I'm missing in all of this configuration.

54 Replies 54

Not a problem. Just to be clear, if you can't ping across the link first, then CDP and EIGRP neighbors will not establish. You don't need either to be able to ping. So ping has to work first, then CDP, then EIGRP.

Thanks

No can't ping on either side and CDP neighbors are not established.

Hello

@Manuel Cruz wrote:

No can't ping on either side and CDP neighbors are not established.

So that indicates you have a physical connection issue, irrespective of eigrp or anything else.

Don get too hung up of CDP either, it might be that its being negated anyway, just make sure you can reach the other side of that link.

Did you confirm with your ISP that the link is active and you have correct speed, duplex settings, if they say all is okay and you still are having issues connecting, Change your cabling and if applicable may also be able to run something called a TDR test to establish any unseen problems along the path

TDR review

res
Paul

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Turns out It’s an issue with the connection to the isp’s overture box from my router. I will check it out today.

Paul,

Finally found cause of issue. The ethernet PTP is set for specific vlan. Putting in change order to set it to untagged which is what my old PTP T1 was. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hello

Very good news - so once that is sorted you should be good to go - lets us know how you get on?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Let you know when I get up you mean?

Hello,

on a side note, check if your IP addressing is correct. Even without any EIGRP configuration, you should be able to ping 10.255.255.249 from 10.255.255.250, and vice versa. 

For the EIGRP all you need is the network statement below:

network 10.255.255.248 0.0.0.3

Hello
@ georg
Always be as specific as possible with the network statements in any igp- matching on the specific interface address is suggested rather then the subnet it resides in, so the case of eigrp and this post you only need the host address network statement to advertised that subnet and oh course to establish the adjacency

Kind regards

Kind Regards
Paul

No i didn't try to ping it yet cause i didn't see the neighbor formed yet, my addressing is correct. That statement you mention was used which is why i see it now in the EIGRP topology, its just not connecting with it's neighbor.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card