cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2600 modifying controller T1 0/0

amcsystemstech
Level 1
Level 1

Our provider is upgrading our frame relay ciruits. So I need to modify a Cisco 2600 to work with the new speeds. I've done such configuration on Cisco 172X routers, but never the 2600.

Most of the 2600's config is familiar. One major difference is that there is a separate "controller T1 0/X" section for each T1 interface. I just want to make sure that modifying them works the same as modifying interface sections of the config.

config snippets for the interface that is changing:

controller T1 0/0

framing esf

clock source internal

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-12 speed 64

interface Serial0/0:0

description Frame-Relay Network

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

no ip route-cache

traffic-shape rate 768000 19200 19200 1000

traffic-shape adaptive 128000

To modify the controller I would:

config t

controller T1 0/0

no channel-group 0 timeslots 1-12 speed 64

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

<ctrl>-z

Just to make sure I understand, the "channel-group" statement above is analogous to "service-module t1 timeslots" statements in my Cisco 172X configs?

Also, should I remove or modify "traffic-shape" for full T1?

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

You got it. Since the VWIC module supports 'channelized T1's', you can have multiple serial interface corresponding to the T1 controller. In order to do a full 'clearchannel' T1, do 'channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64'.

Definetly ditch the traffic-shape command. You didn't actually need it in the first place, since the router knew it only had a 768k link.

Since you have all timeslots now, the router knows it has a 1.5mb link, and you dont need to shape to a specific value.

Only reason you'd need something like that is if you're doing QoS over frame-relay, in which case you'd need to ditch it and move over to a FRTS config.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

You got it. Since the VWIC module supports 'channelized T1's', you can have multiple serial interface corresponding to the T1 controller. In order to do a full 'clearchannel' T1, do 'channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64'.

Definetly ditch the traffic-shape command. You didn't actually need it in the first place, since the router knew it only had a 768k link.

Since you have all timeslots now, the router knows it has a 1.5mb link, and you dont need to shape to a specific value.

Only reason you'd need something like that is if you're doing QoS over frame-relay, in which case you'd need to ditch it and move over to a FRTS config.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card