cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 support NM1 -E3/T3 ?

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

From all of the documentation I am seeing, the 2911 does not support the NM-E3/T3 serial card.

Does anyone know anything different than this?

18 Replies 18

Hi Phillip,

See my post above on Apr 5, 2012 1:11 PM.  I put the combo together and tested it and all was working fine.  We have several clients who deploy the NM-1T3/E3 + SM-NM-ADPTR + CISCO2921 routers and havent had any issues for over 9 months now.  I supplied output showing the combination working for you to review if you like.

The only thing you need to be aware of here is that per Cisco this is technically not a supported combo and they want you to buy the CISCO2951.  While the 2921 does work fine i cannot garuntee it wont be disabled in a future software update or if you will get support from Cisco TAC.  Our customer relies on support from us and is aware of the situation and choose to go with the 2921 anyway. 

Hope this helps. 

Kyle,

Greatly appreciate the response on this. I've extended to my customer the findings that this will work, but may not be supported by TAC.

Again thanks much!

Phil

mikegatti
Level 1
Level 1

A Cisco 2921 will support a NM-T3, the caveat is that it can not run at line rate.

Meaning that you can and cisco will support a 2921+NM-T3 running as a fractional T3 or subrate T3 .

This is the same for the 2821, NM-T3 is fully supported but will not operate at line rate.

Hi,

By support we were mainly talking about the documentation saying it would be supported.  On the module support matrix and the data sheet they specifically leave out support for the 2921 and 2911.  I already verified the combo will technically work on the 2921 and 2911.  Its just a question of Cisco opening advertisting support through documentation thats really in question. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10536/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#notes

"Note:Supported on the Cisco 2951-3945E"

Also not sure i understand the line rate comment.  The 2921 capable of wan performance greater than what a T3 can provide.  Even per Cisco's own documentation says it can handle a full T3.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2131637

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: