Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 vs Cisco 2951

roncro
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I was wondering if I can use the configuration from a Cisco 2911 for a Cisco 2951, the interface names I use are the same and the configuration is fairly basic, just some IP addresses that I'd change before I copy it to the 2951 (what is the best way to do that anyway?  tftp?  USB stick?)

I picked up that 2951 for next to nothing, wondering, even though it is the same series, 2900, what are the differences (can I look it up) other then it's twice the size and quite heavier.

thanks,

Ron

7 Replies 7

Hello,

the specs are nearly identical (link below) so you can use the same config on the 2951 as you had on the 2911.

https://blog.router-switch.com/2014/06/cisco-2951-vs-2921-vs-2911-vs-cisco-2901/

Hello Georg,

That is why I got it, sort of as a spare, and it was next to nothing.  I thought they'd be pretty similar.  However, the thing/2951 is twice as big and twice as heavy as a 2911.  So I somewhat wondered what was going on. I did see the link you mentioned, that's the one I checked before I bought that 2951.

thanks,

Ron

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a look at the table in this document for differences :

https://blog.router-switch.com/2014/06/cisco-2951-vs-2921-vs-2911-vs-cisco-2901/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I am not too worried about that.  It is still better, in many ways, then what you can get from an internet service provider or best buy or so, and it's enterprise grade even.  On top of that, you can get Cisco equipment, used/refurbished for next to nothing.  you can get a 2960-s, which has PoE for less than a 4 port tp-link PoE,  the 2960 is on a different level and doesn't even compare with that tp-link switch.

I am not running a business with it or so, but have a bunch of stuff/projects around that I use it for.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ah, that's often one of the main "features" of a family of routers, like the 29xx series, there aren't many differences, beyond "speed" and physical modules that can be added.  This is especially true when you run the same IOS version on different routers in the same series.  In fact, sometimes it's the same physical IOS binary.

Since the larger routers in the same family can have more physical interfaces, that's often about the only configuration difference you might run into, again, especially if running the same IOS version.

As too copying one configuration to another router, yes, you could TFTP (or FTP and possible another protocol) or use a USB stick, or you might be able to do is with a terminal/telnet/SSH software that supports copy/paste.  (Personally, I often just use a terminal emulator's copy/paste, but I've also done TFTP/FTP too.  In fact, on the later IOS versions, you can invoke TFTP/FTP, on the command line, much like you might on Linux.)

That's what I suspected, being able to stick more additional modules etc.  I do have the impression that 2951 'responds  quicker' when I SSH in.

I pretty much have access to  anything,  tftp/ftp/terminal/ssh/usb.    I have actually wondered if I should put some static ip files (for dhcp) on a USB  and have it/them use that.  I noticed that after a poweroutage, when the router gets back up quicker then a host/server where those files are, it can't access them, so it doesn't respond to DHCP requests, and other hosts can't come up either.

thank you.

Ron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: