cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 with Switch module and multicast

nasus32163
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco2911 with a 16 port switch module.  I want to pass multicast from ports on the switch through the router to outside networks.

What ios and configuration do i need to allow this to happen?  I can pass multicast on the switch itself between clients - I just can't get it to pass to the router.  Do I have to put a physical connection from the gig ports?

Thank you

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the outside network is not part of the same subnet as your 16 port switch module, you need to configure multicast routing.

You need to configure PIM Sparse Mode under your Layer3 interfaces, enable multicast-routing globally and select one router as your Rendezvous Point.

Can you provide a network topology diagram?

Thank you.  I am mobile this weekend but expect to be back in the office and can email more effectively.  do you have a sample router config in the meantime?    I currently have the C2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M6 ios with the ip base and uc technology package license on the router, but am not sure what i have on the switch until I return.  Will either affect my efforts?

Thank you.

Susan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card