Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2951/k9 crypto throughput

Plamen Mladenov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question about IPSEC throughput and crypto support for cisco 2951k9 router. I'm a bit confused. According to

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10537/data_sheet_c78_553896.html

On Table 2:

Embedded IP Security (IPSec) VPN Hardware Acceleration

•  Embedded hardware encryption acceleration is enhanced to provide higher  scalability, which combined with an optional Cisco IOS Security  license, enables WAN link security and VPN services (IPSec  acceleration).

• The onboard encryption hardware replaces and outperforms the advanced integration modules (AIMs) of previous generations.

So If I understand the above correctly - this router has already built in hardware crypto module and there is no need for additional hardware for that.

Great, I have some 2951 routers, and according to show version:

Cisco IOS Software, C2951 Software (C2951-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M4, REL                                                                                                                               EASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 20-Mar-12 19:11 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 15.0(1r)M13, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Cisco CISCO2951/K9 (revision 1.1) with 487424K/36864K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FGL161911B4

3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

1 terminal line

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module

DRAM configuration is 72 bits wide with parity enabled.

255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

250880K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash 0 (Read/Write)

License Info:

License UDI:

-------------------------------------------------

Device#   PID                   SN

-------------------------------------------------

*0        CISCO2951/K9          FGLREMOVED

Technology Package License Information for Module:'c2951'

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Technology    Technology-package           Technology-package

Current       Type           Next reboot

------------------------------------------------------------------

ipbase        ipbasek9      Permanent      ipbasek9

security      securityk9    Permanent      securityk9

uc            None          None           None

data          None          None           None

Configuration register is 0x2102

So I have "VPN module installed" and I have a standard security license.

show inventory raw doesn''t show me any additional hardware module.

And I can successfully configure IPSEC tunnels.

But what will be a IPSEC throughput (average) for this device in this hardware configuration with this software license?

I have found another document which confused me -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/ps12202/data_sheet_c78-682436.html

So there is an additional hardware crypto module for G2 routers which is supported with a little bit newer IOS version.

I have read some unofficial forums and found that there are 2 type of licenses - HSEC which gives the maximum crypto throughput and a "standard" one

which limits crypto (according to some regulations).

So what is the difference between embeded crypto module and ISM-VPN-29 and CISCO2951-HSEC+/K9?

Thanks,

Plamen

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leaving aside the ISM, that you don't have, and don't need.

For more that 170 Mbps of encrypted traffic, you need the HSEC licese:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/qa_c67_606268.pdf

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Do you know in which case I do need ISM hardware module?

As noted in your original posting, the optional crypto module should be able to provide additional performance beyond what the on-board crypto engine offers.

Usually the performance boost is under 25%, so the module is often unnecessary for "typical" usage.  (Crypto licensing, though, is a different issue.)

I've attached a Cisco ISR performance document, which also notes encryption performance.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leaving aside the ISM, that you don't have, and don't need.

For more that 170 Mbps of encrypted traffic, you need the HSEC licese:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/qa_c67_606268.pdf

Thank you Paolo.

Do you know in which case I do need ISM hardware module? It is strange that there is a such hardware...

As above, not needed.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Do you know in which case I do need ISM hardware module?

As noted in your original posting, the optional crypto module should be able to provide additional performance beyond what the on-board crypto engine offers.

Usually the performance boost is under 25%, so the module is often unnecessary for "typical" usage.  (Crypto licensing, though, is a different issue.)

I've attached a Cisco ISR performance document, which also notes encryption performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card