Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560 limiting bandwidth

bojan.vujic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need to limit bandwidth on certain VLAN interface, on cisco 3560 (Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)), I try to use rate limit but I realize that rate limit not working on VLAN interface. I find on this forum many examples but it was unsuccessful. After all I receive message “QoS: policy-map with police action at parent level not supported on Vlan110 interface.”

Can anyone help me with configuration example?

I need to limit certain host on 4 Mbps, in and out.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

bojan.vujic
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone ?

Eugene Lau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

G'day

A good reference is the configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_35_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html

1. See unsupported commands - rate limit is not supported

2. for Traffic from Host --> switch - you could use an "service-policy input"

See configuring a QoS policy and ensure you check out the guidlines to work out if the feature can fit your requirements in terms of managing the bandwidth or particular traffic flows.

3. For egress traffic, that is, traffic leaving the switch --> HOST

You can try "srr -queue bandwidth limit"

see -> Limiting the Bandwidth on an Egress Interface - under configuring Egress queue characteristics.

HTH

Eugene

Hi,

When you have a seperate Vlan's and you allocate bandwidth under the vlan's...See the below two individual steps may help in your scenario.

STEP-1:

Apply rate-limit on each L3 vlan interface in your 2851
Example (for 1024kbits for vlan 2):

Router# conf t
Router(config)# int vlan 2
Router(config-if)#rate-limit input 1000000 187500 375000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
Router(config-if)#rate-limit output 1000000 187500 375000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

STEP-2:

Policy a specific VLAN number on VLAN interface.

class-map vlan5
match vlan 5
match class-map class-default

policy-map vlan5-limit
class vlan5
police 4000000 450000 exceed-action drop

int vlan5
service-policy input vlan5-limit

After you apply this configuration, the traffic with VLAN 5 coming from any will be policed at 4Mbps.

Hope this will help you.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card