cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3745 Router as T1 Server

nstahlman
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to being using a Cisco 3745 Router as a T1 server to run around 16 or so point-to-point T1 circuits.

Is there any difference in using the NM-4T with external CSU/DSUs versus the NM-2W and the WIC-2T with external CSU/DSUs? Also, does it matter if I use the onboard WIC slots first?

Thanks for the input,

Nate

2 Replies 2

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

On the NM side:

NM-2CT1-CSU or NM-2CT1 or NM-4T?

As for the NM, there are various combinations that you could go with, however, I would say that if you want to go with the internal CSU/DSU then it would be best to go with an NM module that has WIC slots (NOT the NM-4T,because with this you would still need an external CSU/DSU to connect to for each T1). I would probably go with a couple of NM-1E2Ws or something like that.

On the WIC side:

WIC-1DSU-T1 or WIC-1T or WIC-2T?

If you don't want to purchase an external CSU/DSU then the WIC-1DSU-T1 would be your best route because it has the integrated CSU/DSU and you just connect from the DMARK straight into the Router with a CAT5 cable (opposed to DMARK----CSU/DSU----[serial cable] to a serial interface on the router)

Hope this information helps.

Thanks for the information. I would perfer using external CSU/DSUs so I will be using the WIC-2T and the NM-4T.

Thanks,

Nate

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card