Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750Upgrade from SMI to EMI image procedure

Umesh Shetty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a cisco "WS-C3750G-24TS-S"  switch with an SMI image. I want to use as an L3 device to support full routing features. According to the cisco documentation I need to purchase an upgrade kit (part code : CD-3750G-EMI=). I wanted to know the following.

1)What is included in this kit?

2)What is the procedure for the upgrade?

3)What cisco ships a SMI image is there a license that is used that will support only the SMI images?

4)Once the switch is upgraded will the show inventory output start showing "WS-C3750G-24TS-E" instead of "WS-C3750G-24TS-E" ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Regards

Umesh Shetty

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Right to use.

Once your license has been OK-ed by Cisco, download the IP Services IOS and upgrade the IOS of the switch.

4)Once the switch is upgraded will the show inventory output start showing "WS-C3750G-24TS-E" instead of "WS-C3750G-24TS-E" ?

Nope.  It'll still show as "-S".

View solution in original post

Does this also mean that if a do not buy the license but upgrade the device I have to an EMI image the upgrade will happen without any issues,

If you run into trouble and you'll need TAC Support, they'll not like it.

but the device will now remain unlicensed or illegal.

Correct.

WS-C3750G-24TS-S#show lice?

% Unrecognized command

That output is normal.  3750/3750G does not have a license file.

1) I wanted to know how the license is upgraded on this device ?

Your license will be stored in Cisco's database.

2) I have refeeed the below metioned url which states the upgrade license procedure does this not apply to this model that I am using ?

No it won't.

So this means that on a device like 3750/3750G the license is stored in Cisco's database hence if i wish to I can upgrade to an EMI image without purchasing any license but thta would mean i would not get any help from Cisco because I am not entitled to use this image.

I am not even sure if you CAN download the IP Services image if you did not pay for the license.  This is because your Cisco Service Contract is tied to your CCO account.  If you don't have any IP Services license, your CCO account will not let you download the file.

But on devices which stores a license file if I try to upgrade the image to an enhanced verison will i get an error that would say that I do not have the license to run this image ?

You will not be allowed to download.  Give it a try.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3750G just needs the IP Service image on it, and it will run it.

Licensing for that series is just to make it "legal".  Only the later 3750 series, like the 3750X, enforce the license.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Right to use.

Once your license has been OK-ed by Cisco, download the IP Services IOS and upgrade the IOS of the switch.

Nope.  It'll still show as "-S".

Thanks Leo,

So what I understand from your answers is I purchase a license to use the EMI image from Cisco and register my device with Cisco as an EMI usable device. Does this also mean that if a do not buy the license but upgrade the device I have to an EMI image the upgrade will happen without any issues, but the device will now remain unlicensed or illegal. And any further issues with the device or an RMA that may be needed incase of a failure will not get honoured because I am using more that what I have subscribed for.

Please let me know if the understanding is right, correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Umesh Shetty

Does this also mean that if a do not buy the license but upgrade the device I have to an EMI image the upgrade will happen without any issues,

If you run into trouble and you'll need TAC Support, they'll not like it.

but the device will now remain unlicensed or illegal.

Correct.

Hi Leo,

On my 3750 switch that I mentioned I tried using the command show license but it does not accept this command.

% Unrecognized command

2) I have refeeed the below metioned url which states the upgrade license procedure does this not apply to this model that I am using ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-579326_ps10745_Products_White_Paper.html

Regards

Umesh Shetty

% Unrecognized command

That output is normal.  3750/3750G does not have a license file.

Your license will be stored in Cisco's database.

No it won't.

Hi Leo,

So this means that on a device like 3750/3750G the license is stored in Cisco's database hence if i wish to I can upgrade to an EMI image without purchasing any license but thta would mean i would not get any help from Cisco because I am not entitled to use this image.

But on devices which stores a license file if I try to upgrade the image to an enhanced verison will i get an error that would say that I do not have the license to run this image ?

Regards

Umesh Shetty

I am not even sure if you CAN download the IP Services image if you did not pay for the license.  This is because your Cisco Service Contract is tied to your CCO account.  If you don't have any IP Services license, your CCO account will not let you download the file.

You will not be allowed to download.  Give it a try.

Hi Leo,

I have other devices in the contract for which I have paid for an IP services license so it allows me to download the IP Services image. But before I try to load that image on the SMI platform I want to be doubly sure rather than banging my head later trying to receover the device if it does not work.

Regards

Umesh Shetty

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3750G just needs the IP Service image on it, and it will run it.

Licensing for that series is just to make it "legal".  Only the later 3750 series, like the 3750X, enforce the license.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Umesh.

Most welcome Leo, thanks for your help !!!  Could you also help answer this..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3969943#3969943

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: