Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4431 Router licensing

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have a 1GB connection from my DMZ network to the internet.  It travels from the 1GB cisco switch to the 1GB Cisco 4431 router and then into the internet connection.  I have this on 2 different sites.  One of my sites is ok and i can get download speeds of up to 800mb.  But the other site is only getting around 400mb.

My reseller is now saying i only bought a 1GB license for the cisco 4431 and that i should have bought a 2GB license is a synchronous license instead of asynchronous

This is what is showing under

show run config

router#

license udi pid ISR4331/K9 

license boot level appxk9

any ideas if he is correct as i have never heard of this before

But as i say its working fine at one site and both routers are identical with the same licenses 

thanks in advance,Kevin

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ISR 4431 has a base thoughput of 500Mb/s.  You'll need to buy a licence to lift that to 1Gb/s.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

View solution in original post

ps.  Use the below command to confirm which performance licence you have installed.

sh platform hardware throughput level

Your right

The current throughput level is 500000 kb/s

looks like i have to think about a new license

thanks for your help

>The 1Gb licenses are asynchronous, not 1Gb each way.

>

>Does that mean i have 500mb up and 500mb down

It means the total throughput in both directions can not exceed 1Gb/s.  So you could download 800Mb/s and upload 200Mb/s and be ok.  Just the some of the up and downstream can not exceed 1Gb/s at any particular moment in time.

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ISR 4431 has a base thoughput of 500Mb/s.  You'll need to buy a licence to lift that to 1Gb/s.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

ps.  Use the below command to confirm which performance licence you have installed.

Your right

The current throughput level is 500000 kb/s

looks like i have to think about a new license

thanks for your help

Hello, just one more question

Here is my output

The current throughput level is 1000000 kb/s

But the supplier is saying 

The 1Gb licenses are asynchronous, not 1Gb each way.

Does that mean i have 500mb up and 500mb down

What do you think?

>The 1Gb licenses are asynchronous, not 1Gb each way.

>

>Does that mean i have 500mb up and 500mb down

It means the total throughput in both directions can not exceed 1Gb/s.  So you could download 800Mb/s and upload 200Mb/s and be ok.  Just the some of the up and downstream can not exceed 1Gb/s at any particular moment in time.

Excellent answer - that explains what i am seeing in my speed test results

I know i have a line fault at one site because i cannot get over 400mb but at the other site i can range from 600 to 800

much appreciated

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: