Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 861 Router with two Internet connections

krishan.saran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

one of our client has cisco 861 router and they have two internet connections from two different ISPs can we use them together as load balancing and as redundancy,

As ciso 861 router has only one WAN port, Any one of you have any idea, how we can do that ?????/

Thanks in Advance

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which type of physical connections your customer wants to use ?

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

according to the Data sheet these routers support hsrp:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_461543.html

so you would need 2 routers, one to each ISP, configure HSRP between the two routers , and track the DSL interfaces so if one goes down the other takes over.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

krishan.saran
Level 1
Level 1

HI Dear

its a small customer and they dont want to buy a second router, they have one ADSL modem and one Cable modem, form router prospective both are ethernet connections

and i was just thingking that i can connect one of the modem with WAN port in normal way and

add a default route towards WAN interface

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 int fas 4

in that case it has metric 0

and add second modem on the LAN right now my LAN subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 i was just thinking i i will assign the LAN interface of one modem a IP in same subnet e.g 192.168.1.254

and will add another ip route

e.g

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

so metric for this route will be 1 by default

I did this same think on one another location with same router but in that case i just only routed trafic for one destination IP addresss through second ADSL modem

e.g

4.2.2.2 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.254

And i think it will work too but it will only give redundancy no Load balancing, any one have any idea

Had you searched before asking, you would have found:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080950834.shtml

Anyway, you need a router with multiple connections, evene better one with embedded ADSL.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card