cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 867 - cisco867vae - dual wan - backup wan

ciscojoe837
Level 1
Level 1

Does the cisco867vae-k9 support dual wan such that the VDSL is the primary WAN but if that goes down it switches to the secondary WAN (GE cable).  And when the VDSL is up again it switches back to the primary.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you could use default static routing with ADs set with ip sla and tracking of upstream routes or interfaces for failover conditions

You will need an image that supports these features

BGP failover as well with the correct image

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you could use default static routing with ADs set with ip sla and tracking of upstream routes or interfaces for failover conditions

You will need an image that supports these features

BGP failover as well with the correct image

Thanks for that Mark.

Seems like a lot of work for such a simple feature though.  I was hoping it was something that can be setup with config pro express.  Is that possible? 

The reason I ask is that every other business class UTM appliance can do this in about 2 seconds of configuration whereas I find with cisco routers it's much more difficult or not even doable.  So I'm trying to gage what I'm in for by your comments above. 

As well,  I don't know what you mean by the correct image.  Isn't there only one image for this router or do I need something different?

Thanks.

To run bgp you would need an advanced Ip license on the image which does cost extra, an Ip base license should work for static routing and should support Ip sla and tracking but I would need to confirm.

It's standard  cli config but I can t comment on express I haven't used it.

You could just use couple default routes with different weights pointing to each circuit and use Ip sla icmp to ping an upstream route when it can't reach the route the circuit fails over and vice versa when it comes bk and route is reachable again

Thanks for that.

I checked and I do have the advip ios image.  However, this model doesn't do backup WAN.  You can only use one WAN at a time.  Can't believe it actually. 

I looked at the config express and it does setup what you have above.  You just edit the interface and choose backup and it puts all the commands in necessary to do it. 

I'll try a different router and see what happens.

DEAR MARK 

KINDLY BE INFORMED THAT IP SLA IS SUPPORTED ONLY ON IOS SEC AND UC ONLY

IP BASE DOSENOT SUPPORT IT .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card