Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 867VAE - cannot create sub interfaces

t.marksteiner1
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have a Cisco 867VAE router with ios 15. I want to create 3 subinterfaces for a FastEthernet-Interface, but all my attempts ended in an error message.

xxx(config)#interface FastEthernet 1.1
                        ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

So what was my fault?

I hope anyone can help me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
interface FastEthernet 1.1

FastEthernet 1?  The 860 has a 4-port Layer-2-ONLY switch.  The 4-port switch will NOT support sub-interfaces because this is a Layer 3 feature.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
interface FastEthernet 1.1

FastEthernet 1?  The 860 has a 4-port Layer-2-ONLY switch.  The 4-port switch will NOT support sub-interfaces because this is a Layer 3 feature.  

Really? That's bad. I thought this is a default feature for every cisco router.

Ok, does this mean, if an interface has only 1 numbered position (like FastEthernet 1), it is only a Layer2-switch, and for interfaces with 2 positions (like FastEthernet 1/1) => Layer3 switch?

If the switch is layer2, how can  i implement intervlan routing, because that was my intention to take this model?

Thanks for your help.

Go HERE.  This should be the image of the back of your router.  

Only the WAN port can support sub-interfaces.  The rest of the 4-port switch, labeled FastEthernet0 to FastEthernet3 are plain-and-simple Layer 2 ports.

Another thing, 860 routers will only support 2 VLANs.

That's right.

Ok, is it possible to implement intervlan routing with subinterfaces on wan-port?

What does support for only 2 vlans mean? I can create multiple vlans and assign them to sub-interfaces. So, were is the limitation?

What does support for only 2 vlans mean? I can create multiple vlans and assign them to sub-interfaces. So, were is the limitation?

No problem.  You're looking at the router side.  You can create numerous sub-interfaces with the WAN port.  But you can only create up to two VLANs.  

What is the bandwidth of your DSL connection?

now i understood you.

The bandwidth is around 4 mbit/s, but this doesn't matters, because i would used it for my local network.

I know what my fault was, i took the wrong hardware :(.

So i will replace it with something with is able to route vlans.

Thank you very much for your help and time.

The bandwidth is around 4 mbit/s, but this doesn't matters, because i would used it for my local network.

860 can handle 4 Mbps without breaking a sweat.  

So i will replace it with something with is able to route vlans.

819/860/880/890 have very, very limited VLANs supported.  So when you're looking into the data sheet of each model, search for "VLANS" and you'll see this fact HIDDEN and only mentioned ONCE.  

Sorry to break this bad news to you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card