cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 878, doesn't appear to boot, no serial output in terminal

orgg92
Level 1
Level 1

I just got to using this router that I want to use for practising the CCNA course and it seems to be bricked...

Tried the usual things like a "hard reset", trying default IP addresses

I purchased this cable   to access the console port (of which I downloaded both the Cisco "USB Console" drivers and the FTDI VCP drivers).  On Windows the driver installed is called "USB Serial Port" and while I did download the USB Console software, when I try "Update manually" I get an "INF" error and the Cisco Serial drivers are not in the "compatible drivers" menu (have to uncheck the box and locate it manually by finding the manufacturer)... So technically, the drivers are installed but my system thinks the "USB Serial Port" is the only

Tried using Putty and TeraTerm over serial and get no form of output, in putty the screen just hangs and in Tera i get the blinking space (tried pressing "Enter" numerous times alongside the Ctrl+Break and Alt+B for a break) and nothing.

Tried plugging the cable from this Windows Server 2012 R2 machine into a linux machine (attempted using "screen" as mentioned on the cisco site) and neither of them worked.

When I turn on the router, I get the first 4 LED's lit up, then all of them and then they all shut off and "OK" is green.  If i try do a hard reset literally nothing happens.

Is there anything I can do or should I request a refund from ebay?  Who'd have thought simply turning a router on would be so difficult to troubleshoot :*(

I understand there are multiple cables for the job, but the specs of the cable suggest pretty much universal compatability.  I did read something about someone using Vista drivers or something like that but at this point I'm thinking its the router.

Thanks for any help

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First you need to fix and confirm that Console cable working ? ( before you proceed to reset the device to factory)

Do you have any other cisco / device to confirmt his cable working ?

here is the factory reset for the Cisco 878

https://www.hardreset99.com/routers/cisco/cisco-878-router-how-to-reset-to-factory-defaults-settings/

If you think cable is ok, then you should ask for replacement or refund from ebay vendor.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

I found the procedure below in an older thread (linked at the bottom, don't sue me for plagiarism), you might want to try this:

1) Install the usb console driver\windows 64\setup(x64)

2) Follow the wizard and accept the defaults

3) Restart the computer (the installer usually says it needs a restart)

4) After restarting the computer, plug in the usb cable

5) The computer should say installing Device driver software and fail at the Cisco Virtual Comm Port00

6) Click the Windows button, right click computer, manage

7) Under Computer Management, Click Device Management

8) Go to Ports (COM & LPT)

9) You should see the Cisco Virtual Comm Port00 with a Yellow Exclamation point on it

10) Right Click on the Cisco Virtual Comm Port00 and select Properties

11) Click the Driver Tab

12) Click Update Driver

13) Select Browse my computer for driver software

14) Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

15) Choose the Cisco Serial Driver

16) Device Driver is installed successfully, take note of the com port it is using.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/usb-console-driver-install-failing/td-p/1943982

--> check for 'greggar25' 's reply...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card