Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 881w for Home Use

eddie.sardinha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on setting up a cisco 881w as my primary home router.  I currently have Verizon Fios with the internet and TV package so I don't want to lose DVR functionality.  The FIOS router/modem is set up for Ethernet however some of the other FIOS features need the Coax connection. 

Is there a way to bridge or pass through the FIOS modem so I can use the cisco 881w as the primary?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There must be a way to get the FIOS modem to bridge mode. May you will have to call verizon to get them to set it in Bridge mode and then setup IGMP on your 881w and enable multicast along with vlans to get your TV and internet working without flooding your LAN with multicast. I am using the exact same set up with my 867 so I can confirm it should work fine but every ISP has their own way of delivery.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

eddie.sardinha
Level 1
Level 1

I would appreciate any assistance on this. 

Thanks

There must be a way to get the FIOS modem to bridge mode. May you will have to call verizon to get them to set it in Bridge mode and then setup IGMP on your 881w and enable multicast along with vlans to get your TV and internet working without flooding your LAN with multicast. I am using the exact same set up with my 867 so I can confirm it should work fine but every ISP has their own way of delivery.

Thanks after contacting FIOS numerous times they are telling me there is not a way to do it without losing the DVR functionality.

Maybe the links on this thread should help in your case?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30680900-Thinking-about-bypassing-FIOS-router

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card