Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 886w - No WAN interfaces available

DylixSolutions
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We purchased a Cisco 886w router to substitute our old DSL-router which has to be rebooted daily to keep running.

I connected everything, powered up the router, loaded the cp config-file and connected through CP express (to give it an initial config).

Whenever I get to the WAN configuration CPexpress says: "No WAN available - Cisco CP Express did not detect any WAN interfaces. You will not be able to use Cisco CP Express to configure a WAN interface, PAT or create a basic firewall."

Same thing in CP itself: "Create new connection" shows option for a BRI or ETHERNET connection and 'unsupported', but no ADSL.

The Cisco CP manual says "all interfaces are preconfigured." Well, apparently they aren't, at least the adsl port isn't.

I tried uncountable times to reload factory defaults (through CP express), as well as boot up router and press reset button within 5 seconds.

I really need this router up, because I don't know how long the old one will last...

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DylixSolutions wrote:

Hi,

We purchased a Cisco 886w router to substitute our old DSL-router which has to be rebooted daily to keep running.

I connected everything, powered up the router, loaded the cp config-file and connected through CP express (to give it an initial config).

Whenever I get to the WAN configuration CPexpress says: "No WAN available - Cisco CP Express did not detect any WAN interfaces. You will not be able to use Cisco CP Express to configure a WAN interface, PAT or create a basic firewall."

Same thing in CP itself: "Create new connection" shows option for a BRI or ETHERNET connection and 'unsupported', but no ADSL.

The Cisco CP manual says "all interfaces are preconfigured." Well, apparently they aren't, at least the adsl port isn't.

I tried uncountable times to reload factory defaults (through CP express), as well as boot up router and press reset button within 5 seconds.

I really need this router up, because I don't know how long the old one will last...

How is your ADSL supplied to you ? The 886 is for ADSL over ISDN (see table 1 in this doc) -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542.html

so that is why you see a BRI interface which is for ISDN. Is your ADSL supplied over ISDN ?

Jon

jon.marshall wrote:

How is your ADSL supplied to you ? The 886 is for ADSL over ISDN (see table 1 in this doc) -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542.html

so that is why you see a BRI interface which is for ISDN. Is your ADSL supplied over ISDN ?

Jon

Yes, the DSL is on an ISDN line. But the BRI is not connected (our ISP has no isdn dial-in), only the ADSLoISDN port is used.

Jelle

That is fine. But, do not use the GUI, that is a sure failure.

Use CLI only, or engage someone that knows how to configure a router.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

That is fine. But, do not use the GUI, that is a sure failure.

Use CLI only, or engage someone that knows how to configure a router.

I know enough about configuring a router for what we need it for, but I don't have the time to read the complete command reference.

I want to create a basic config via the GUI and then finetune it afterwards.

And after all, if the interface doesn't exist, I can't configure it...

If I could create the right interface manually, that would be fine.

It is the same indentical to a regular pots adsl interface, so you can look the configuration examples, using the search on the main cisco.com page.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

It is the same indentical to a regular pots adsl interface, so you can look the configuration examples, using the search on the main cisco.com page.

I can't try the examples because the router doesn't recognise an ATM interface.

Furthermore, when I try "show hardware", the port doesn't show either:

4 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface
1 terminal line
1 cisco Embedded AP (s)
256K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
125440K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

The available interfaces are:

Router(config)#interface ?
  Async                 Async interface
  Auto-Template         Auto-Template interface
  BRI                   ISDN Basic Rate Interface
  BVI                   Bridge-Group Virtual Interface
  CDMA-Ix               CDMA Ix interface
  CTunnel               CTunnel interface
  Dialer                Dialer interface
  FastEthernet          FastEthernet IEEE 802.3
  Group-Async           Async Group interface
  Lex                   Lex interface
  Loopback              Loopback interface
  Multilink             Multilink-group interface
  Null                  Null interface
  SSLVPN-VIF            SSLVPN Virtual Interface
  Tunnel                Tunnel interface
  Vif                   PGM Multicast Host interface
  Virtual-PPP           Virtual PPP interface
  Virtual-Template      Virtual Template interface
  Virtual-TokenRing     Virtual TokenRing
  Vlan                  Vlan IEEE 802.1q
  Wlan-GigabitEthernet  Internal GigabitEthernet IEEE 802.3z connecting to
                        embedded AP
  range                 interface range command
  vmi                   Virtual Multipoint Interface
  wlan-ap               Service module interface to embedded AP

Router(config)#interface

I don't know why, but all CLI sequences that I've seen have commands to set the IP on the Ethernet interfaces. When I try to set the FastEthernet ip's, I get:

Router(config)#interface Fastethernet0
Router(config-if)#ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0
% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links FastEthernet0.

Gr,

Jelle

Hello Jelle,

I found the identical issue with a cisco 886w and i don't know why it doesn't show the ATM interface. i had the c880data-universalk9-mz.124-24.T3.bin on the router and updated the IOS version to c880data-universalk9-mz.151-2.T2.bin. After this update you will see the ATM interface

Cisco IOS Software, C880 Software (C880DATA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.1(2)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:c880data-universalk9-mz.151-2.T2.bin"

886 (MPC8300) processor (revision 1.0) with 236544K/25600K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ1440C0JG

4 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface
1 ATM interface
1 terminal line
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
1 cisco Embedded AP (s)
256K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
125440K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Best regards,

Fred

If someone could post the bug ID for that, we would be able to mention a reference in case it happens to other.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card