Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 886w - No WAN interfaces available

DylixSolutions
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We purchased a Cisco 886w router to substitute our old DSL-router which has to be rebooted daily to keep running.

I connected everything, powered up the router, loaded the cp config-file and connected through CP express (to give it an initial config).

Whenever I get to the WAN configuration CPexpress says: "No WAN available - Cisco CP Express did not detect any WAN interfaces. You will not be able to use Cisco CP Express to configure a WAN interface, PAT or create a basic firewall."

Same thing in CP itself: "Create new connection" shows option for a BRI or ETHERNET connection and 'unsupported', but no ADSL.

The Cisco CP manual says "all interfaces are preconfigured." Well, apparently they aren't, at least the adsl port isn't.

I tried uncountable times to reload factory defaults (through CP express), as well as boot up router and press reset button within 5 seconds.

I really need this router up, because I don't know how long the old one will last...

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DylixSolutions wrote:

Hi,

We purchased a Cisco 886w router to substitute our old DSL-router which has to be rebooted daily to keep running.

I connected everything, powered up the router, loaded the cp config-file and connected through CP express (to give it an initial config).

Whenever I get to the WAN configuration CPexpress says: "No WAN available - Cisco CP Express did not detect any WAN interfaces. You will not be able to use Cisco CP Express to configure a WAN interface, PAT or create a basic firewall."

Same thing in CP itself: "Create new connection" shows option for a BRI or ETHERNET connection and 'unsupported', but no ADSL.

The Cisco CP manual says "all interfaces are preconfigured." Well, apparently they aren't, at least the adsl port isn't.

I tried uncountable times to reload factory defaults (through CP express), as well as boot up router and press reset button within 5 seconds.

I really need this router up, because I don't know how long the old one will last...

How is your ADSL supplied to you ? The 886 is for ADSL over ISDN (see table 1 in this doc) -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542.html

so that is why you see a BRI interface which is for ISDN. Is your ADSL supplied over ISDN ?

Jon

jon.marshall wrote:

How is your ADSL supplied to you ? The 886 is for ADSL over ISDN (see table 1 in this doc) -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542.html

so that is why you see a BRI interface which is for ISDN. Is your ADSL supplied over ISDN ?

Jon

Yes, the DSL is on an ISDN line. But the BRI is not connected (our ISP has no isdn dial-in), only the ADSLoISDN port is used.

Jelle

That is fine. But, do not use the GUI, that is a sure failure.

Use CLI only, or engage someone that knows how to configure a router.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

That is fine. But, do not use the GUI, that is a sure failure.

Use CLI only, or engage someone that knows how to configure a router.

I know enough about configuring a router for what we need it for, but I don't have the time to read the complete command reference.

I want to create a basic config via the GUI and then finetune it afterwards.

And after all, if the interface doesn't exist, I can't configure it...

If I could create the right interface manually, that would be fine.

It is the same indentical to a regular pots adsl interface, so you can look the configuration examples, using the search on the main cisco.com page.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

It is the same indentical to a regular pots adsl interface, so you can look the configuration examples, using the search on the main cisco.com page.

I can't try the examples because the router doesn't recognise an ATM interface.

Furthermore, when I try "show hardware", the port doesn't show either:

4 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface
1 terminal line
1 cisco Embedded AP (s)
256K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
125440K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

The available interfaces are:

Router(config)#interface ?
  Async                 Async interface
  Auto-Template         Auto-Template interface
  BRI                   ISDN Basic Rate Interface
  BVI                   Bridge-Group Virtual Interface
  CDMA-Ix               CDMA Ix interface
  CTunnel               CTunnel interface
  Dialer                Dialer interface
  FastEthernet          FastEthernet IEEE 802.3
  Group-Async           Async Group interface
  Lex                   Lex interface
  Loopback              Loopback interface
  Multilink             Multilink-group interface
  Null                  Null interface
  SSLVPN-VIF            SSLVPN Virtual Interface
  Tunnel                Tunnel interface
  Vif                   PGM Multicast Host interface
  Virtual-PPP           Virtual PPP interface
  Virtual-Template      Virtual Template interface
  Virtual-TokenRing     Virtual TokenRing
  Vlan                  Vlan IEEE 802.1q
  Wlan-GigabitEthernet  Internal GigabitEthernet IEEE 802.3z connecting to
                        embedded AP
  range                 interface range command
  vmi                   Virtual Multipoint Interface
  wlan-ap               Service module interface to embedded AP

Router(config)#interface

I don't know why, but all CLI sequences that I've seen have commands to set the IP on the Ethernet interfaces. When I try to set the FastEthernet ip's, I get:

Router(config)#interface Fastethernet0
Router(config-if)#ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0
% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links FastEthernet0.

Gr,

Jelle

Hello Jelle,

I found the identical issue with a cisco 886w and i don't know why it doesn't show the ATM interface. i had the c880data-universalk9-mz.124-24.T3.bin on the router and updated the IOS version to c880data-universalk9-mz.151-2.T2.bin. After this update you will see the ATM interface

Cisco IOS Software, C880 Software (C880DATA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.1(2)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:c880data-universalk9-mz.151-2.T2.bin"

886 (MPC8300) processor (revision 1.0) with 236544K/25600K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ1440C0JG

4 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface
1 ATM interface
1 terminal line
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
1 cisco Embedded AP (s)
256K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
125440K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Best regards,

Fred

If someone could post the bug ID for that, we would be able to mention a reference in case it happens to other.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card