cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 900 series licensing questions

nvaert1986
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at buying a Cisco 921 or Cisco 931 based IOS router and am looking at the licensing options. I noticed that these routers come with a default IP Base image and was wondering if the following features are included or whether the Security license is required, because it was not completely clear to me and rather confusing.

- Is the "ip inspect" included in the IP base image or is the Security license required for this (in other words: is this a part of the Zone Based Firewalling option or is this a part of the ACL based firewalling option)?

- Is ACL based firewalling included in the IP Base license or is the Security license required?

- Is NAT support included in the IP base image or is the Security license required for this?

I will not be using anything related to VPN, so thinking the IP Base license should be sufficient.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the base features - If you looking only NAT and connecting to Internet using ISO, Base good enough, if you looking more Security features then SEC or APP License required.

Look at the below : Feature what supports.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/guide-c07-741884.html#Orderinginformation

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I already read the datasheet and it does not go into enough feature specific detail to determine the answer. This is why I'm asking the question.

I don't need a zone based firewall. A simple NAT with ACL and ip inspect (as you need this for stateful firewalling) is sufficient for me, I don't need IPSEC, DMVPN, FlexVPN or SS-VPN either. Which would make IP Base sufficient, but where is ip inspect a part of and is this included in the IP Base license?

The thing is that the license description does not mention ip inspect and would like to know of which technology this is a part of and whether this is included in the IP Base license or not.

If you looking deep features of each one you can navigate here : product document shows high level license.

https://cfnng.cisco.com/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I've tried that as well, but the Cisco 900 series is not available in the Feature Navigator (only the ASR 900 series are shown).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card