cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA dropping packets for unknown reason

asdfasdfff
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out why my Cisco ASA seems to be dropping packets. This is giving me a poor network connection with lots of timeouts. I cleared the asp table to analyze recent traffic drops:

# show asp drop

Frame drop:
  NAT-T keepalive message (natt-keepalive)                                    29
  IPSEC tunnel is down (ipsec-tun-down)                                        1
  Flow is denied by configured rule (acl-drop)                                47
  Flow denied due to resource limitation (unable-to-create-flow)            2479
  First TCP packet not SYN (tcp-not-syn)                                      15
  Slowpath security checks failed (sp-security-failed)                         2
  Dropped pending packets in a closed socket (np-socket-closed)                1

Obviously the   "Flow denied due to resource limitation (unable-to-create-flow)" reason is the highest.

The command reference page here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa-command-reference/show_asp_drop/show_asp_drop.html

provides the following information:

Name: unable-to-create-flow
Flow denied due to resource limitation:
This counter is incremented and the packet is dropped when flow creation fails due to a system resource limitation. The resource limit may be either:
1) system memory
2) packet block extension memory
3) system connection limit
Causes 1 and 2 will occur simultaneously with flow drop reason "No memory to complete flow".

Recommendation:
- Observe if free system memory is low.
- Observe if flow drop reason "No memory to complete flow" occurs.
- Observe if connection count reaches the system connection limit with the command "show resource usage".

Syslogs:
None

However, I see no flow drops or "No memory to complete flow" in the output.

I also checked "show resource usage" and am nowhere near the limit for connection count:

Resource                 Current        Peak      Limit        Denied Context

Conns                          5             976      10000             0   System

However, when I checked the memory usage, it appears to be at a steady 90%

# show memory
Free memory:          23174384 bytes ( 9%)
Used memory:         245261072 bytes (91%)
-------------     ------------------
Total memory:        268435456 bytes (100%)

# show memory detail

Free memory:                        23249728 bytes ( 9%)
Used memory:
     Allocated memory in use:       69024960 bytes (26%)
     Reserved memory:              176160768 bytes (66%)

So it appears that the issue may stem from memory overuse. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to resolve this issue? Looking on other similar forum posts, it seems like the issue was resolved by updating the IOS. However, I updated to the latest version of the firmware in January due to the RCE vulnerability in the VPN service on these devices. Any advice is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

asdfasdfff
Level 1
Level 1

According to a couple other posts, any software version beyond 8.3 requires 512GB of memory, so I've decided to just go ahead and spend the $20 on some new memory. https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/firewalling/tips-for-freeing-up-memory-on-asa-5505/td-p/2004058

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

asdfasdfff
Level 1
Level 1

According to a couple other posts, any software version beyond 8.3 requires 512GB of memory, so I've decided to just go ahead and spend the $20 on some new memory. https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/firewalling/tips-for-freeing-up-memory-on-asa-5505/td-p/2004058

Hi

Let us know if it helps on the packet drop.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card