Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C3560 Support Flexible NetFlow!

kiloumustafa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was working with Opmanager software to monitor my network, and i downloaded the Netflow plugin, i tried to enable the netflow on my core switch c3560 but I was surprised that it does not support the NetFlow, after many resersh most of URL's say it does not support until i found another URL from Cisco Says that it support Flexble netflow now, but i think we should update the IOS.

please have a look on this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15.0_1_se/configuration/guide/swmnetflow.html

advise please.

thank you.

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kiloumustafa,

an additional hardware is needed also for support of flexible netflow see:

>>Flexible NetFlow is supported only on the Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X switch running the IP base or IP services feature set and equipped >>with the network services module<<. It is not supported on switches running the NPE or the LAN base image.

So it is not only a question of IOS version.

C3KX-SM-10G

Service Module with two 10GbE SFP+ ports network module for Netflow and MACsec encryption

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733_ps10744_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

kiloumustafa
Level 1
Level 1

please have a look:

http://blogs.manageengine.com/netflowanalyzer/2011/08/08/cisco-3k-switches-now-supports-netflow-export/

it is saying that only upgrading the switch to newer ios with some configuration will fix the issue.

Hello Kiloumustafa,

in the document you have linked at the end the hardware module is mentioned too:

>> The Cisco 3750 X series and 3560 X series with new NetFlow service module (

C3KX-SM-10G

)supports complete flexible NetFlow export for Uplink ports.

>>>This 

C3KX-SM-10G

module cannot be deployed on existing 3K switches, It is available only with the new 3K series catalyst switches Chassis.

You need BOTH an upgrade of IOS image and the above service module installed to be able to support flexible netflow on the C3560 switch.

AND  the 3560 chassis  has to be of new type 3560X to be able to host the module listed above.

In my first post I have reported the official cisco datasheet of current 3750X - 3560X.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

This problem can be solved with newer software IOS upgrade on Cisco 3k  and 2900 series catalyst switches. The IOS version is 12.2(58)SE and  supported platform are (3750-X, 3560-X, 3750-E, 3750G, 3560-E, 3560G,  2960, and 2960-S ). This IOS upgrade will enable NetFlow export which is  different from normal NetFlow export from Routers and other layer 3  Switches. I hope all are aware of NSEL(NetFlow Secure Event Logging)  export from ASA , something similar to this is supported in this IOS  version (12.2(58)SE) which is called Cisco Smart Logging and Telemetry..

As always there are limitations like, this NetFlow export can not be  used for complete bandwidth monitoring or Billing purposes. But you can  use this technology to track users traffic denial and flow creations etc  and also can be used for security analytics.

as i understand from the topic that upgrading my switch will make it able to export the netflow but in limit way. but still this is good.

Hi Kiloumustafa,

Giuseppe is right about needing the C3KX-SM-10G.  Also, we posted a blog on SLT if you want to learn more about Smart Logging Telemetry.  I heard the new 3850 supports traditional NetFlow without the module.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card