cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DDR2200 ADSL2+ syncs with provider, but nothing more

pcarter1987
Level 1
Level 1

I just had bonded dsl set up with my phone company. While I await their response as to what the problem is, I was hoping one of you might have a suggestion as to what the problem can be if you work in a phone company, or had a similar issue. It's most likely something on their end, but I am curious to see what you guys know

In my Cisco DDR2200 modem's diagnostic page, I have the following:

- Test ADSL Syncronization [PASS]

- Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping [FAIL]

- Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping [FAIL]

And a bit further down:

- Test PPP server connection [FAIL]

... and obviously no Internet address is given to the modem.

I enabled PPP debugging, and saw that the modem keeps sending out a PADI packet, but never gets a reply. So it can't really communicate with my ISP to get a public address. However, BOTH dsl lines are confirmed working at this time. Before, I had a single DSL line, now I have 2 and they are being bonded. If I swap the phone cord pairs, I am still able to get internet access (on my old modem) on either pair. The tech that came out yesterday also tested both lines with his sun meter, and they are good.

Their final answer yesterday was that the "CALYX" on my street needed to be upgraded to support bonding, as it hadn't been upgraded yet. I got a call today asking me to test it, and I did when I got off work, but heard nothing. Now the phone company is closed for the day, and here I am to see if you guys have ever ran into a similar issue. Maybe there is something I can try, and maybe it is a phone company issue.

I will definitely wait for the phone company to get back to me, as the issue isn't resolved.

So overall, it seems the 2 DSL lines work, the modem seems to be ok, but it's just not talking with the PPP server at all. Thanks for reading .. let me know what you guys think.

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Peter,

>> - Test ADSL Syncronization [PASS]

- Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping [FAIL]

- Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping [FAIL]

And a bit further down:

- Test PPP server connection [FAIL]

the provider is correct from these results they are not able to bond the links that technically can mean to run multilink PPP.

if their device doesn't support it you can use each line as a standalone link but not in a bonded form

Hope to help

Giuseppe

dhbastion
Level 1
Level 1

If they are using a Calix dslam and you are able to get sync, most likely either 1) Your ports are not configured correctly on the dslam or 2) Your ports in the dslam are not capable of bonding. A Calix dslam will not even recognize a card that is bonding compatible unless it is at a high enough revision to support bonding. The same is true of Tellabs/AFC/UMC

What is the DSL training loga suggest. is the connection strong?

a)      Enable the training log collection for failure cases only, dsl  enable-training-log failure delay (under "interface atm 0"  sub-config)

The "delay specifies how many seconds to wait  before retraining the line once the log is retrieved from the chipset.   This will give enough time to the user to capture the output of "show  dsl int atm" command, before the log buffer overwritten.  The  varies from 0 to 600 seconds.   The default is 0 seconds.
b)     Enable the DSL debug, debug atm events
c)     Wait for the following message     
  *Jul  8 09:36:30.671: DSL(ATM0): Training log collection completed
d)     Capture the output of "show dsl int atm0"

Also,

Is ATM pings fail, verify the pvc id's with the service provider. Your ATM configs dont gel well with  the service provider side. This is why the ATM asegment ping will not work.

pcarter1987
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies. Just so everyone knows what happened when this was an issue months ago:

After talking with the local tech, the calix upgrade didn't fix it. He said they did a bunch of additional troubleshooting, and eventually "unplugged and plugged my cross connect back in at the central office". After they did that, they saw sessions and internet traffic flowing through like normal. So it was something that simple.

Hi Peter,

Can you please mark this threaed complete and rate any responses that helped you.

Shelley.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card