Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISR Router Behaviour

csco10675262
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question; if a Cisco ISR G2  router is running and the CF memory card is removed, may I check if there may be any impact to the router? I recall doing it previously quite sometime back and understand the routers works as usual except unable to read/write to CF memory card since its removed. I would like to confirm if the behaviour may still be applicable.

Appreciate for any suggestion if anyone is aware of the behaviour of the router when the CF memory card is removed while its power on and running.

Thank You :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, If I correctly remember you can remove the CF without effects on the current operations

but you must check what are stored on CF.

If the CF is used to store IOS, a reboot without CF will cause the enter in rommon mode.

If the startup-config is stored in the CF the router will boot in default mode....

Check what are stored in CF with show disk, check if the boot sequence use CF with show boot.

Regards.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi, If I correctly remember you can remove the CF without effects on the current operations

but you must check what are stored on CF.

If the CF is used to store IOS, a reboot without CF will cause the enter in rommon mode.

If the startup-config is stored in the CF the router will boot in default mode....

Check what are stored in CF with show disk, check if the boot sequence use CF with show boot.

Regards.

Hi,

Thank you for the information. The reason for the removal of the flash card was to retrieve its configuration and files on it as there was loss of password to access it and downtime is not possible.

To get software and config off a router locally, I would tend to use a USB memory stick. Just be aware that they have to be small (8-16GB) and no automatic encryption. I have used these quite a bit in conjunction with the archive command.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That will depend entirely on what llicense/feature the router is running on.
For instance, if the router is running UC services and someone's plugged a new phone (or reboots a phone), then while the CF is not in, the phone will do nothing.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: