cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router is using two IP address

oggy765
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I am having issue with Cisco 1841 router. Before I assigned a static IP to that particular computer(server). It was working fine. Port forwarding was also done

and it was working. No issue at all. But now I got issue. I am not able to get internet access when using this static IP. After searching which device was using that static IP, I found that the same router was using this IP(not sure how this could happen). In the arp table the IP address is linked to router's hardware Id. Basically two IP address with same hardware id. I need that IP address for the server.I tried clearing arp table, removing IP address n all I could find from Google but to no avail. Can someone give advice regarding this situation. I have been digging on this issue for almost a day.

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Level 12
Level 12

Hi @oggy765 ,

It sounds like this IP address in question might be part of your NAT pool on the router, in which case the router will respond to the arp request destined to that address. This would explain why you are seeing the router MAC address/IP address in the arp table.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I believe that NAT pool is an excellent suggestion. If that turns out to not be the cause of the issue it would be helpful if you would post the complete current running config (disguising any sensitive information - Public IP, passwords, etc).

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card