cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco1700 Setup

dmonk
Level 1
Level 1

This is a 1st time setup so bare with me. I have a 1700 model router that i am installing on a newly installed T1 line. I have configured the IP address, Subnet, Line speed/coding, and framing parameters on the serial interface of the router. My first question is:

1. Shouldnt this allow me to at least get a ping/tracert to an outside address? Currently i am unable to do so. When i check the status of the Serial interface it says up,up. Also, the output of the sh int ser0 states that i have 49input errors, 5 CRC errors, 35 Frame errors, and 9 aborts.

2. After i try to ping or traceroute i get the following error: Error opening TFTP://255.255.255.255/network-confg(timed-out). Is this related to the reason i cant get out? The subnet mask in the error msg is different from the subnet provided by the ISP.

3. Do routing tables have to be configured to get a basic ping or traceroute?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Is your link providing Internet connection? I suppose it is.

1: You do need a route of some sort to do a ping or traceroute.

To achieve full Internet connectivity, add a default route as follows:

conf t

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0

end

2: This message is not related. Enter the following to get rid of this:

conf t

no service config

end

3: Do a: sh ip route. The only routes that you will see are your inside network (if connected) and the subnet on your serial link. You should already be able connect to hosts on these subnets. For other networks, you will need the default route as per 1.

Please post your config if you need more info.

Regards,

Leo

h.parsons
Level 3
Level 3

Make sure your encapsulation is the same on both ends and the errors may be the result of a clocking problem, if the other end is providing the clocking you need to set yours to clock source line.

vm612
Level 1
Level 1

Leo is entirely correct, I would just add that you should clear the counters and watch it from there as the errors may have been from the first configuration attempt. Framing is typically ESF and signaling binary 8 0, defualt on T1 WICs, if using a seperate TSU/DSU take the framing off "auto" and hard code it to ESF, bad cables will also produce these errors. Note also that many ISPs don't allow pings on their serial interfaces.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card