cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

combining rip and static routing using ospf ?

garytan231
Level 1
Level 1

hello guys please enlighten me i am really confuse right now regarding my school assignment , my teacher told us to combine these rip and static routings using ospf routing with separate router is it possible or not ?, thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes @garytan231 it should be.

Ensure to have unique subnet attached to each Routers on your topology.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @garytan231 

combine ?

use static routes or use dynamic routing protcols, such as RIP or OSPF. I see also EIGRP configuration on R3.

On your router R1 simplify your static routes:

M02rt37_0-1704033224410.png

By one default static route:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2

Same things on Router R5. For others Routers, static routes are OK, since you have East and West traffic.

Best regards

eigrp configuration was a mistake i forgot to delete it , by combining i mean something like redistribute but using third party router which only use ospf routing to connect my static routing project to rip routing project idk whether it is possible or not since i can't find any tutorial like that 

Ok @garytan231 

Thanks for that clarification. Yes it is possible.

Best regards

can you guide me ? 

@garytan231 

First on that topology, use a third party Router, top of the others, and connect it to each router and configure OSPF on each link.

Redistribute static routes on router ospf process of each router.

Static routes will be prefered via serials links since administrative distance is 1, OSPF is 110.

Best regards

sorry but i so confuse can you do it on my pkt and send it here if possible i want to see how it is done , thank you

can you teach me how to do it?

Hello @garytan231 

Add third router and plug it to each routers. Configure ospf process, same area 0, between this third router and all the others. From these other routers, redistribute connected subnets. 

Since you have static routes via serial links, these should be prefered since AD value (1 for static routes, 110 for routes learns with OSPF).

Best regards

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

@garytan231 

Find attached here the zip file with your topology modified.

This thrid party OSPF router is configured and attached to each Routers.

Routers R1 until R5 prefer static routes via serial link ; if you delete serial link you will see that subnets should continue to be reachable thanks to OSPF process.

Best regards

it seems like you misunderstood, what i meant was that i want my rip routing topology connect to my static routing topology like this , as you can see the top topology is using static and the bottom one using rip using third party router with ospf configuration to connect static and rip routing is it possible?

garytan231_0-1704192521438.png

my assignment is more or less like this using third party routing with ospf configuration to connect rip routing topology, eigrp topology and static topology

1b5c888b-71c7-40ab-81e3-575cd1a3b012.jpeg

Yes @garytan231 it is possible.

Redistribute static to ospf on the top router connected to third party router.

Redistribute rip to ospf on the bottom router connected to third party router.

Best regards

can you help me do it on my pkt ? thank you

@garytan231 

Try to do it yourself based on my previous pkt file and with what I've just describe concerning redistribution.

I will check that.

Best regards
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card