Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration of SwitchOver...

vinayak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am having an network infrastructure. i am having 3 isp connections. WAN 1 , WAN 2 & WAN 3. Currently i am connected  WAN 1 to one network (say 192.168.1.1) & WAN 2 to other network (172.18.1.1). WAN 3 is for Backup.

i want a solution for

if WAN 1 & WAN 2 goes down is it possible to switch the whole traffic (192.168.1.1 & 172.18.1.1) on WAN 3 connection. ???

9 Replies 9

Hi ,

We need some more info :

- how many layer 3 wan equipments do you have - or you have only one router ?

- is there any dynaminc routing protocol with the provider

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently i am having only one router with 3 WAN Ports. To which 3 Internet Connections are connected.

Currently i dont have any dynamic routing protocol. Its a basic config. to start internet browsing..

But in future i will like to configure Site-to-Site VPN & MPLS VPN...

If any other info require please ask me..

Thank you.

Hi ,

you can use default routing with tracking.You will to SLA monitor with each next-hop of t your link ( 3 of sla monitor with 3 tracking of the sla )

An example is :

ip sla monitor 1
type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 1.1.1.1
request-data-size 1500
timeout 100
ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 1 rtr 1 reachability
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 track 1

You will have to do diferent AD for each default route , depending of your provider preference.For example

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.1 track 2 20

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.3.3.1 track 3 30

The last number is the AD.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I got littlebit from your answer. But is it possible that if both of my running links goes down, Can i switch the whole traffice of (192.168.1.1) & (172.18.1.1) on 3rd Link which is used as a backup. ???

& if in case i want to do Site-to-Site VPN then how is this possible ?

Please guide me..

Thanks.

The 172.18 and 192.168. networks are locally to the WAN links or remote networks ?

Dan

Hi,

These 2 networks are local WAN networks..

Hi,

Interface track -sla works fine. But if you are getting these WAN connection from different ISP. Then it's all together different scenario.

If your ISP is same you are good to go !

Track and adjusting the AD for default route should be fine.

Really appreciate if you can paste a diagram.

Thanks

Subodh

Hi Subodh,

Sorry but i dont have network diagram.

But currently i am using 2 links are from same ISP. & the other one which i kept for backup & want to use as primary link when the 2 links gose down. This Backup link is from diffrent ISP.

is it possible to shift whole traffic on Backup link when both primary & secondary links gose down at a time ?

Hi,

Thanks for your immediate reply. Generally ISP will give you a pool of IP. So from the links from the same ISP they will accept the packets from those have source address from the pool which they have given to you.

Lets take example : if ISP1 gave you a pool of a.b.c.d /24 then they will only accept the packets only with source IP   from this subnet.

If you want your second ISP2 to accept the packets that has source from the a.b.c.d /24 you need to get that done from ISP.

If this is the case you may need to do a source NAT,  that will change the source IP of the packets that is accepted  by ISP2 and then send the packets to scond ISP.

If you have a pool that is globally accepted ( you can get it from APNIC ) then  both ISP will route that pool.

Thanks

Subodh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: