Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to routers lan side using switch card on routers

jomo frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Expert, 

I have a Hub (PROD) router at my Head office that is connection to a few remote sites via point to point connection.

I am using cisco gre tunnels and my routing protocol is eigrp

The router is equipt with a  4 port switch card and  one port  is connected to network .

The router's lan interface network  is defined in my eigrp network statement

example PROD lan ip address is 172.33.10.1

router eigrp 250

network 172.33.10.0 0 0.1.255

Both wan interface are in use ( connections to two different telco)

We are about to engage a another provider offering  pppoe,  but I have exhausted all my wan interfaces on the Head Office (PROD) router.

I have decided to use another router(ENET) to do the ppoe connection because I cannot use none of the available  switch card ports for ppoe connection.

The plan is to connect PROD router to ENET router via the switch card by creating a Vlan and assign static address in the same subnet.

Example router PROD vlan 90 ip address 10.60.90.10

router ENET vlan 90 ip address 10.60.90.12.

I would config ENET to do the pppoe connection to the remote site routers.

My challenge is router ENET will have no interface to connected to my network, but router PROD will have a lan connection to my network , how do get eigrp to work with this setup?

Regards

Jomo

18 Replies 18

Jomo

Glad to know that you did get the tunnel up on enet router. I had not been aware that you were planning to do tunnels on the enet router. Yes doing remote sites using site to site tunnels using 3 ISP connections on 2 routers does have some things that would be complicated. You could use static routing for the connection between your routers. But especially thinking about how manage failover between the routers I would suggest that a dynamic routing protocol like EIGRP would be better than static routes.

Good luck on getting this completed. Let us know as you make progress or as you have additional questions.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello  Jono
Connect the Enet router to the PROD router or the core switch and advertise it connected interfaces into eigrp

Then from the either the core switch or the prod router policy base route (PBR) your internal traffic that you wish to go over the enet router connection, One of the problems you may have is asymmetrical routing for the return path but that depends on how you are connecting to your isp's and what routing protocol if any you are using.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,
I am using ppoe to  the connect to telco and the routing protocol use is the eigrp.

I would like to stick eigrp and not use policy base route (PBR) in the network.
Once the networks behind PROD is advetise and visible to the remote site with the corresponding ppoe connection I am okay.
The perfect situation was for the PROD router to do the pppoe conection but due to unavailability of a wan port I am to force to use this method of introducing a middle router ENET to do the pppoe connection.

Regards

Hello

Apologies Jono misnterpreted you OP

@jomo frank wrote:

My challenge is router ENET will have no interface to connected to my network, but router PROD will have a lan connection to my network , how do get eigrp to work with this setup?

Would you be able to post topology of what your trying to achieve so we can get a visualize and possibly obtain a better understanding 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card