Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two private 10.0.0.0/8 Networks

Lisytiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there,
I'm theocrafting about a network problem and I'm struggling with the following situation.

company A uses 10.0.0.0/8 network for internal traffic.
company B also uses 10.0.0.0/8 network for internal traffic.

I need to connect these two company networks via VPN. The Problem is, that both companies could be using the same IP address in their own network. e.g. 
10.1.1.1 = ServerA in company A
10.1.1.1 = ServerB in company B
So how can a Client from A contact ServerB in company B?

Normally I would just use regular NAT to connect these two networks and build a transfer net, but which private ip address space can I use to interconnect a /8 network, without potential connectivity problems for the rest of the internet traffic?

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The solution is double NAT but still each "side" cannot have addressing conflicts.  For example, if each side actually used the bottom half of 10.0.0.0/8 you could NAT so that each side would see the other side using the top half of 10.0.0.0/8.

As @alvimutmex refreshed this question, rereading my prior reply wasn't totally clear and is not guaranteed to work in all situations.

Two way NAT is a key component but it assumes there's sufficient free IP space, either statically and/or dynamically to handle address needs.

For example, in my prior reply I'm assuming both /8s only need a /9 of address space.  Or more importantly, the aggregate usage of the two /8s don't actually need a full /8.  If they do, possibly the other two private address blocks could provide enough additional address space.  If not, @Lisytiro is correct you could have a problem if you start to use public address space.

Two things to keep in mind, likely much of each 10/8 can work with PAT.  I.e. good chance you could map both 10/8s into a single 10/8, but it could require a lot of work.

Second, you could consider using IPv6, either natively on all the hosts or perhaps with IPv4<>IPv6 NAT.  (Even at the date of OP, IPv6 would likely be the best long term solution.)

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Lisytiro ,

>> but which private ip address space can I use to interconnect a /8 network, without potential connectivity problems for the rest of the internet traffic?

You can use two /16 from other RFC 1918 block like:

172.16.0.0/16

172.17.0.0/16

of course you need to use NAT overload on the NAT pool(s) and you can use static NATs where needed

Hope to help

Giuseppe

As @Giuseppe Larosa mentions using two address blocks, 172.16.0.0/16 and 172.17.0.0/16, I wanted to clarify, what I had in mind by ". . . possibly the other two private address blocks could provide enough additional address space."

They would be:

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

Still, that's not going to cover the whole 10.x.x.x/8.  So as I, and Giuseppe too noted, you might be able to do this using dynamic NAT (pools and/or PAT) and static NAT where necessary.  Still, lots of work, and worst case, you might still run short.

Again, the only approach, I believe would guarantee success is using IPv6, while avoiding possible address space conflicts.

Lastly, if you were just needing to do this temporarily, you might also consider using:

198.18.0.0/15 and/or 240.0.0.0/4.  Both have intended uses, but unlikely, I suspect, you'll bump into usage conflicts, using them strictly privately.   The /4 though, covers both /8s with ease.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card