cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converter from ethernet to serial

Elie El Amil
Level 1
Level 1

kindly note that we have a wan serial connection connected to cisco router 1750, and we want to upgrade the serial connection to ethernet but we haven't any additional ethernet interface on the router. Is there any converter from ethernet to serial?

we appreciated your reply.

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

elie_elamil wrote:

kindly note that we have a wan serial connection connected to cisco router 1750, and we want to upgrade the serial connection to ethernet but we haven't any additional ethernet interface on the router. Is there any converter from ethernet to serial?

Thanks in advance.

If i understand you correct your wan link suplier will give you an ethernet connection to connect to.

But your router only has 1 ethernet port and you already use this port for you local lan connection.

Then you need to buy a wic-1enet that you can set in the slot in the back of the 1750.

Now you have 2 ethernet ports instead of the built in and a serial.

However that said the 1750 have been end of sales since 2002 so its a dead product and it has to say the least lousy performance for to days standard.

my advice would be to change it to something that is a little bit more suitable for todays environments.

Good luck

HTH

View solution in original post

Lets take this from the top.

First of all a wic-1enet is not expensive, you can buy them cheap from any broker.

However that said, I  think it would be money better spent to buy a newer router.

when this is maxed out you will have a lot of intermittent problems.

I doubt you will be happy with this solution in the end.

A router is not very expensive either today.

Good luck

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

There are lots of third party devices out there. My choice would be to upgrade the router.

here is an example:

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/uds1100.html

Not applicable

Do you have WIC card or a serial connection connected to an external CSU/DSU. A converter will not do you any good because the interface will still be limited to 1.54Mbps.

Are you getting a Metro E hand off? What is the circuit speed? Once you have answered these questions a recommendation can be made for the hardware required.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

elie_elamil wrote:

Thanks in advance.

If i understand you correct your wan link suplier will give you an ethernet connection to connect to.

But your router only has 1 ethernet port and you already use this port for you local lan connection.

Then you need to buy a wic-1enet that you can set in the slot in the back of the 1750.

Now you have 2 ethernet ports instead of the built in and a serial.

However that said the 1750 have been end of sales since 2002 so its a dead product and it has to say the least lousy performance for to days standard.

my advice would be to change it to something that is a little bit more suitable for todays environments.

Good luck

HTH

Thanks all for your help.

This is to inform you that we have one wic-1t and one vic-fxs so we haven’t any empty slot on the router. Therefore, if we will buy wic-1enet we want to replace it instead of the wic-1t and this is one of solution if the cost of wic-1enet is not expensive.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Best Regards,

And what speed is your ethernet going to be?

Lets take this from the top.

First of all a wic-1enet is not expensive, you can buy them cheap from any broker.

However that said, I  think it would be money better spent to buy a newer router.

when this is maxed out you will have a lot of intermittent problems.

I doubt you will be happy with this solution in the end.

A router is not very expensive either today.

Good luck

HTH

Elie El Amil
Level 1
Level 1

Kindly note that the speed is 256 kbps, and as for the WIC-1enet is it compatible with cisco 1751? Is there any need to upgrade the IOS version? Bearing in mind that We are in need of a version that support the WIC-1ENET and the VIC-FXS in the same time.

esomarriba
Level 5
Level 5

a very good company is RAD.com, the best in the industry, pretty expensive but simple the best out there.-

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card