Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copy a configuration manually without it being disturbed

Is there a solution to prevent a config or list of commands from being messed up when I manually copy it to a router?

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
is there a solution to prevent a config or list of commands from being messed up when I manually copy it to a router?

personally i do not see any issue when you copy and paster from notepad ( as long as the comand syntax correct and router able to take that commands.

you have other method :  You can make available the config in TFTP, and copy to flash.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I want to use just the manual method, in fact, everything is correct and when I do it separately it works otherwise when I copy everything at the same time, it stops. I have a long configuration

what device is this, how many Lines, are you pasting using console ?

if you paste large number of Lines, Console terminal may take some time to digest that information and paste correctly.

In this case, suggest to use SSH or use small number lines paste at a time so you know if any errors occured can be corrected, rather 1000 lines pasted.

BB

I'm trying to copy around 300 lines. I have an IR829 router and it is connected by serial

Hello,

what exactly are you doing ? Why don't you just copy the configuration to flash, as a .txt file, and then copy that file to the running configuration ?

you mean tftp? actually i am trying to create a procedure that will be used by other users to install a new router. the procedure will generate a configuration according to precise data after he has just to paste it in the router

serial you may see issue as mentioned using console cable,

i have suggest other method in the first post of mine

you have other method :  You can make available the config in TFTP, and copy to flash.

you can use reference guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/829/software/configuration/guide/b_IR800config/b_initconfig.html

BB

I have had experiences like what the original poster describes when I am connected to the console and am pasting a (fairly) long config. The issue is that most terminal emulators transmit at pretty quick rate. This is fine if you have a network (SSH or telnet) connection. But the console operates at a much slower speed and the paste on the console connection can over run the capacity of the console connection. My solution to this was to go into the configuration of my terminal emulator and to increase the character delay, and especially important to increase the line delay used by the emulator. When I did this I was able to paste long configs with no loss of data.

HTH

Rick

I am currently using putty as an emulator. Do you know how to increase the line delay please ?

sh start | redirect tftp://<IP ADDRESS>/router_config.txt

Keep it simple.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card