Views
Helpful
Replies

Create VLAN 1000

CSCO10320953
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

In Existing switch i am unable to find running configuration of  the vlan number 1000.but sh vlan and sh vlan brief its showing active and some port are assinged.other than VLAN 1000 ,all inteface vlan configuration and l2 vlan name I am able to see same switch,ie switch is server mode....What would be

problem or how to see  vlan 1000.Pl help out...

Thanks..

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't use VLAN 1000 to 1005.  It's reserved.

Leo,

Are you sure about this? There are 5 reserved VLANs: 1, 1002-1005. VLAN 1000 in particular should be usable.

Best regards,

Peter

Are you sure about this? There are 5 reserved VLANs: 1, 1002-1005. VLAN 1000 in particular should be usable.

Mea culpa.  You're right.  VLAN 1000 is usable. 

Leo,

Never mind - those pesky details are best for certification exams, anyway...

To the author of the original post: can you please post the complete show running-config (without sensitive information, of course), plus the output of show vlan brief and show vtp status?

Best regards,

Peter

Never mind - those pesky details are best for certification exams, anyway...

I wonder what model is the switch.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

you can only see the configured VLANs in show run if switch's VTP mode is set to transparent.

Switch#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1121 bytes

!

version 12.2

no service timestamps log datetime msec

no service timestamps debug datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Switch

!

!

vtp domain cisco1

vtp mode transparent

!

!

vlan 10

name ENG

!

vlan 20

name MRK

!

vlan 30

name IT

!

vlan 1000

!

Hi,

Vlan 1000 May be created in VTP database .....

Hi,

I thought you're asking how to see vlans in show run. Or did I just misunderstood you?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Vlan 1000 May be created in VTP database

This is why I'm asking what is the model of your switch.  2900XL/3500XL switches and early IOS of the 2940/2950/2955 use VLAN Database to create VLANs.  Later IOS for the 2940/2950/2955 can do both.

If your switch model is newer then the only minimum "configuration" you'll see in the running/startup config is "vlan 1000" and that's it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card