Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

decrease tc value on asr 1001-x router

hi,

during shaping policy config, router itself calculate bc based on cir. And there is a minimum value of bc .... it is calculated based on tc of 4ms. Is it possible to use lower value of tc .... so bc could be smaller?

br

9 Replies 9

What kind of traffic are you shaping? Here is a really old link that talks about VoFR and VoIP traffic shaping.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/voice-quality/14073-fr-traffic.html 

The short version as I recall it is that the lower the value of Tc, the more precise the shaping will be. For voice traffic, you wanted Tc to be 10ms.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recall that there are minimum Tc values, although how small might vary per platform.

Although @Elliot Dierksen is correct that small Tcs, make for more precise ("precise" as in more closely being like a physical link for that "speed" in small time intervals) shaping, however, I recall (?) going "too small" can bump into the issue where the Bc is smaller than some possible packet sizes (which results in those packets always being consider out-of-contract (or overrate).

Unless you have a real need for a very small Tc (Elliot's mention of VoIP is a good example, including his mention of using 10ms [which, is often what I used when working with VoIP]), a larger Tc might (slightly?) reduce resource consumption (mostly on software based devices?) and, for longer term averages, a larger Tc will still provide the same shaped rate (just, possibly, more bursty).

I.e. don't reduce Tc just because you can, but use what you really need.

BTW, often overlooked, software based (e.g. ASR?) QoS doesn't engage until the interface TX queue overflows (which is only FIFO), so often, you need to set tx-ring-limit to a smaller value than its default.  If you need a small Tc value, you'll probably also need to manage the TX buffer size too.

well ... other side of link (ISR 4451) is generating tcp out of order tcp packets so I have poor tcp transfer rate. It is 1G link. I noticed that if I decrease cir on sending side, I get better performance, guess that bursts generated with 0.9g CIR causes out of ordering ..... so I taught .... can I have cir of 0.9g and bc  smaller then 0,4% of CIR. Sending side is ASR 1001x ... and yes ... link is fine ... tested with two laptops connected directly to link :-))

Shaping (at least the later/current HQF variants [because those are really FIFO or FQ while pre-HQF is WFQ]) shouldn't (bug???) cause out-of-order packets (for individual flows), regardless of its CIR and/or Tc settings.

That noted, you can create out-of-order packets with CBWFQ policies.

hi,

I do not think that shaping cause OOO but helps eliminate them (decreasing bc).

br

Again, shaping (normally) shouldn't cause or mitigate OOO.

If your OOO is flow related, that's very unusual, because network devices, geneally by default, don't reorder packets within the same flow.

Ah, very interesting!  Thanks for posting the cause of your OOO.  (Which, as I expected, wasn't caused by a shaper.)

Hello

@DraganSkundric87318 wrote:
during shaping policy config, router itself calculate bc based on cir. And there is a minimum value of bc .... it is calculated based on tc of 4ms. Is it possible to use lower value of tc .... so bc could be smaller?

I suppose you can manually lower the Bc value which then calculate at a lower TC.

Example: 1MB link

TC=0.0.4
Shape = 1024000
BC= 0.0.4*1024000/8 =  512

or

BC=256
Shape = 1024000
BC= 256/1024000*8 = 0.004

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card