cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route selection via OSPF

andtran
Level 1
Level 1

The router is connected to two OSPF neighbors via a flat vlan. Each neighbor inject default-route (default originate). Thus, it receives the default-route from each of its neighbor. How can I change the OSPF metric to make one default-route is less favorable than the other (not filtering), but maintain the redundancy.

Otherwise, I use floating static routes.

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Howdy,

On one of the routers, the one you wish to be less favourable, use the following:

default-information originate metric 50

Since the default is a type-2 external with a metric of 20, this second route will be less favourable to it.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh.

Hello,

the easiest way would be to change the metric of the injected default route with the command:

default-information originate metric x

The lower metric default route will be preferred...

HTH,

GP

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

In addition to all the post this link will give you the details about the command default-information originate for ospf with complete syntax and the usage guidelines

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hirp_r/rte_osph.htm#wp1090223

default-information originate [always] [metric metric-value] [metric-type type-value] [route-map map-name

HTH

Ankur

Sorry I did not provide the details. All 15 sites are OSPF-neighbored via a Metro Fiber flat vlan. Two sites inject the defaut-orginate into OSPF. I want load sharing the outbound for internet traffic between the two sites. How can I manipulate the metric for the default-information routes receiving from the two neighbors ?

Floating static routes would work, but it is not the most elegant.

Thanks a lot for all your responses !!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card