Views
Helpful
Replies

design help

Shibu1978
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to design the network for video traffic movement . attached digaram designed for in this regard. could you please check and notify me if i am on the right track .

Thanks in adavnce

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

It is a very simple network - not much can go wrong with it.

HTH>

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

It is a very simple network - not much can go wrong with it.

HTH>

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we plan to run HSRP active/standby on this Vlans.

Could you please clear my below doubts with regards to failure of STM primary link & vlan 10 link on multicast device (Encoder).

1) when primary STM-4 link go down all traffic from multicast server go via Etherchannel to other l3 switch then to STM 4 backup link ....is it not? do i need to have L3 etherchannel between L3 switches?

2) when vlan 10 link fails all traffic from multicast device will be sent out via Vlan 20 to other L3 switch . again do we need L3 ether channel between switches ?

Thanks

OK - so answer your questions:-

1) when primary STM-4 link go down all traffic from multicast server go via Etherchannel to other l3 switch then to STM 4 backup link ....is it not? do i need to have L3 etherchannel between L3 switches? -

YES as the mmulticst traffic will be using the layer 2 topology and once it arrives over on the other switch Layer 3 SVI will be using the IP routing.  This asumes you plan to use PIM to transport the multicast traffic?

2) when vlan 10 link fails all traffic from multicast device will be sent out via Vlan 20 to other L3 switch . again do we need L3 ether channel between switches ? Not entirely -

I have a question, Why are you planing to send multicast traffic out over 2 VLANs?  Something really has to be wrong for a VLAN to fail.  As long as your multicast source has a connection into each switch - you have physical redundancy already (you will need to run active/passive on the server NIC's)

Please find attached deisgn i am planning .

using current setup i can have both STM1 link (ethernet handover) and Physical connection redundancy.   same i am planning to do it with the proposed setup

Thanks

Yep - looks good.

Thanks for your reply.

So using the designed plan i can have both STM link and Physical connection redundancy ..is it right ..hope there wont be any complication with multicast traffic ?

1) bascially the traffic flow would be

Multicast source------> vlan 10 ---> 4506 Switch----> primary STM 4 link --->Multicast Receiver.

2) If Primary STM-4 gets down it should be

Multicast source------> vlan 10 ---> 4506 Switch----> L2 Etherchannel----> 2nd 4506 Switch ---> Secondary STM 4 link --->Multicast Receiver

3) If active physical connection fails it should be

Multicast source------> vlan 10 ---> 2nd 4506 Switch----> L2 Etherchannel----> 1st 4506 Switch ---> Primary STM 4 link --->Multicast Receiver

Hope i can acheive the above requirement using the designed setup

Thanks for your time and help

Cheers

dear Andrew prince

Could you check and my previous post and pl respond back

Thanks

Um - Yes, you plan could be easily implemented.  With a dynamic routing protocol over the WAN circuits, with either VRRP or HSRP for the Multicast Source LAN and running PIM.

HTH>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card