cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Determining OSPF default route

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

I have got OSPF running with two area i.e 0 for my back bone and 1 for the WAN sites. For the WAN sites I need to tell the router to use a default route and how do I do that with OSPF. At the moment I have a static default route on

Thank for the help

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you need to assign a default route, you can do so on your main router with "default-information originate" if you have a static default route. If you don't have a static default route, you can use "default-information originate always". You would put either of these commands under the routing process.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

When you say main router, are you refering to the remote site router ? Sorry for not getting back earlier on this one.

No you would want do it at the main site and have that propogated to the remote sites across the WAN. 

Jon

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you send your config?

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks for the response. Attach herewith is my configuration on the remote site router. Have removed some other configs.

By the way here is a little background of what prompts us to put in that default static routes after we found out that some users cannot access the internet via our main site (OSPF area 0).We have contractor VLAN's at these remotes sites and its an isolated VLAN with proxy and firewall for their internet connection via the main office. They hit the proxy within their VLAN for their internet and it will do a lookup and thats where the router doesnt know where to route

Thanks for the help

Here is a more systematic way for users in our contractors VLAN at the remote sites

1) PC->DNS Lookup

2) PC -> TCP Start -> Server :80

3) PFsense -> Capture :80 -> Local Proxy :80

4) Local Proxy -> (Internet etc)

That first step is required. (and what was failing without the default static route

Any helpers out there ?

If you need to assign a default route, you can do so on your main router with "default-information originate" if you have a static default route. If you don't have a static default route, you can use "default-information originate always". You would put either of these commands under the routing process.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

When you say main router, are you refering to the remote site router ? Sorry for not getting back earlier on this one

When you say main router, are you refering to the remote site router ? Sorry for not getting back earlier on this one.

No you would want do it at the main site and have that propogated to the remote sites across the WAN. 

Jon

Thanks. Got it sorted

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card