cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device MAC Address for a 2911

Jelani_DTE_PRO
Level 1
Level 1

Which command should I use, to learn the device MAC address for a 2911? I'm configuring Port Forwarding, for access to my lab equipment. And, in haste last night, I executed a "show version" on my 2911s, thinking I would find their respective MAC address within a saved text file. Of course, when I later looked over the files that contain the "show version" info, it's not there. I did find a MAC address of each 2911, after executing a "show arp" on one of my switches. However, that seems to be the interface MAC address...because Port Forwarding, isn't allowing me access to those devices.

And, yes, I was able to access those 2911s with a direct connection to my ISP router...using the protocol I've configured for Port Forwarding.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Each interface will have a MAC address. There is no device MAC address. Whichever interface you are connected to is the MAC address you are sending packets to and from. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ctbower98
Level 1
Level 1

Router#show interface fa0/0

FastEthernet0/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down

Hardware is CN Gigabit Ethernet, address is 4c00.8262.3c99 (bia 4c00.8262.3c99)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Hi. And, thanks for the reply.

However, that looks to be the MAC address for that interface.... I would like to know how to obtain the device MAC Address...

Each interface will have a MAC address. There is no device MAC address. Whichever interface you are connected to is the MAC address you are sending packets to and from. 

ctb,

I was hoping no one would say that...there's no device MAC address, unlike in the case of a base Ethernet address for a switch. Now, I have to wait 'til this evening to further troubleshoot and get this resolved. UGH! LOL!

Thanks, for your feedback.

Just to add a note to what ctbower98 noted, if you use a virtual IP, like HSRP, it will have a virtual MAC.

Hi, Joseph.

Isn't that the same (interface) MAC address that can be found, within a "show arp"?

Yes, it might be seen there.

BTW, if you're looking for a "device MAC", something like a HSRP MAC might suffice as I recall (?) you can use the same HSRP group on different interfaces (i.e. each interface might then have the same virtual MAC.

Also, there might be a command to assign a MAC to a physical interface. If so, you could have different interfaces with the same MAC.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card