cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp not working

muskap
Level 1
Level 1

I have three routers and each router has 2 networks each. The issue comes with building 2's router. I cant seem to get the dhcp pool to work and im not sure why but ive tried to fix it several times. If someone can explain whats wrong that would be awesome. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
you do not require to have dhcp pools on each rtr, you can just create all the pools on the corporate rtr, enable routing between all 3 rtrs (something like eigrp) and advertise each buildings subnets.

Give the corporate rtr a loopback address and advertised that also, lasty on the floor2/building 2 rtrs append dhcp relay on the lan facing interfaces pointing to the corporate loopback interface.

Example:
Corporate rtr
ip dhcp pool 1
ip dhcp pool 2
ip dhcp pool etc...

int loopback 0
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

All rtrs
router eigrp 100
no auto summary
network 0.0.0.0

Bulding2/floor 2 rtrs
int x/x
lan facing interface
ip helper-address 1.1.1.1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@muskap,

In the file you sent, there is no DHCP configuration in the Building2 router. The other two routers have DCHP configured for their respective networks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

@NetworkDave,

The file I linked is the version where I didnt set up DHCP on router 2 yet my bad. Heres after I tried setting up dhcp. I got it to work on one of the pcs but not the other.

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@muskap,

You configured DHCP correctly on the Building2 router:

Building2#show running-config | section dhcp
ip dhcp pool mypool
network 172.16.59.32 255.255.255.224
default-router 172.16.59.49
ip dhcp pool mypool2
network 172.16.59.80 255.255.255.240
default-router 172.16.59.81
Building2#

Reviewing the second file you sent, DHCP on the Building2 router was verified to be configured correctly. Both PC's on their respective networks were provided IP Addresses via DHCP.

A few things to note are: All the associated links on the network must be up/up. When first opening the file, It takes a minute or so for STP to converge and the Auto-retry of DHCP to be completed. You can speed-up time by clicking the double arrow button in the time pane (Bottom-left corner) of the packet tracer window. Also, sometimes you just need to reset packet tracer (close and then reopen).

HTH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

paul.driver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello
you do not require to have dhcp pools on each rtr, you can just create all the pools on the corporate rtr, enable routing between all 3 rtrs (something like eigrp) and advertise each buildings subnets.

Give the corporate rtr a loopback address and advertised that also, lasty on the floor2/building 2 rtrs append dhcp relay on the lan facing interfaces pointing to the corporate loopback interface.

Example:
Corporate rtr
ip dhcp pool 1
ip dhcp pool 2
ip dhcp pool etc...

int loopback 0

All rtrs
router eigrp 100
no auto summary
network 0.0.0.0

Bulding2/floor 2 rtrs
int x/x
lan facing interface

Hello

Example:
Corporate rtr
ip dhcp pool 1
ip dhcp pool 2
ip dhcp pool etc...

int loopback 0

All rtrs
router eigrp 100
no auto summary
network 0.0.0.0

Bulding2/floor 2 rtrs
int x/x
lan facing interface

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card