Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialer configuration with no atm interface

Hello folks.

I have a cisco 890 series router. That router don't have atm interface. Right now my DSL modem already in bridge mode and also my DSL modem already connected with router via its fastethernet interface.

My question is, how to configure a cisco 890 router as DSL dialer(device that supply username and password).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter!

Nice to talk to you again.

Thanks for pointing that out, I was pasting a working config from a router I have working in a similar environment but not identical to what was asked :)

I agree on the MTU and MSS adjustment.

Best regards,
Martin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Martin Hruby
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

You could try something like this:

interface FastEthernet0/0
 description Connection to DSL modem
 pppoe enable group global
 pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

interface Dialer 1
 ip address negotiated
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer pool 1
 ppp chap hostname User123
 ppp chap password Password123
 ppp ipcp route default

This assumes that the Cisco 890 router can discover the service-provider concentrator by using PPPoE Active Discovery Initiation (PADI) messages, and that PPP IPCP is used to obtain the IP address and the default route. It may be the case that your service-providers uses DHCP to obtain this information, in which case remove the IPCP configuration section and configure ip address dhcp under the Dialer.

Best regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

Please allow me to join. I have a couple of comments to your suggested configuration:

1. The pppoe enable group global command on Fa0/0 is inappropriate. This command starts a PPPoE access server instance. On a client device, using pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1 is entirely sufficient and no other PPPoE-related commands shall be entered by the administrator.
  2. On the Dialer1 interface, it is strongly recommended to use mtu 1492 and ip tcp adjust-mss 1452 to take the diminished MTU into account and make sure that TCP sessions won't be producing oversized segments.

Obviously, the NAT configuration would need to be added as well.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter!

Nice to talk to you again.

Thanks for pointing that out, I was pasting a working config from a router I have working in a similar environment but not identical to what was asked :)

I agree on the MTU and MSS adjustment.

Best regards,
Martin

Hello,

Thanks for the information, this is a hard topic.

Here I make that a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zIVQxuEk8&feature=youtu.be

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card