Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between IOS?

lruberintwari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to know in-depht the difference is standing on IOS. Why to choose that IOS instead of another? This will help me to know what IOS i can advise on a specif need.

Thanks in advance

8 Replies 8

mrdogantr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lionel,

You can use links bellow for ios comparation.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=compare&task=display

hth

Muammer

Hello,

Thanks for the IOS comparison tool but i am still want the fool explanation on what such IOS has and others doesn't have, what it can do and others can't. Imagine a scenario you are in front of a potential customer who really need a cisco router and give you all specific interface he needs but you are not able to  advise him on a specific IOS software because you don't know.

Thanks

Hi,

I think that everybody has to search Cisco to see exactly which IOS will be fit for the Customer because we are humans and can't remember everything about everything( there are so many IOS versions) and furthermore each IOS has it's own memory and flash size requirement so even if for one feature such IOS may be good you may still want not to use it because you can't upgrade your hardware.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello,

I didn't mean IOS version i.e 12.4 but IOS software like : Advance Enteprise, Advance IPservices,Broadband, Enteprise Base, Ip Base, Ip Base SSH and SP service. Think they must be provided with IOS but there must be a bit of difference between those software and this is what i wish to know. Am i enough clear on my concern?

Hello,

I didn't mean IOS version i.e 12.4 but IOS software like : Advance Enteprise, Advance IPservices,Broadband, Enteprise Base, Ip Base, Ip Base SSH and SP service. Think they must be provided with IOS but there must be a bit of difference between those software and this is what i wish to know. Am i enough clear on my concern?

You can look at Cisco Feature Navigator.

Some differences below between IP base & IP Services

The IP Base feature set includes advanced quality of service (QoS), rate limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) functions. Dynamic IP routing protocols (Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), BGPv4, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)) are available only on the IP services image.

The IP Services image provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, which includes advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing. Support for IPv6 Layer 3 switching in hardware is also available with the addition of the Advanced IP Services license to either the IP Base or the IP Services images. Both the IP base Image and the IP services image allow for Layer 3 and Layer 4 lookups for QoS and security.

Francisco.

Hi,

The links mentioned are fat of useful info and this is what i was looking

for. Thanks indeed spremkumar

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM, spremkumar <

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card